Toilet paper - leave it or throw it?

Answered!
Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

Toilet paper - leave it or throw it?

How would you react as a guests if your host (providing and a aditional packaging of toilet papers) leaves partially used TP ona holder. So leave it or throw it?

1 Best Answer

I'd think it was pretty wasteful to throw away a partly used roll!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Is this a serious question?????

I'd think it was pretty wasteful to throw away a partly used roll!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

I think its either lazy or conservative of the host to leave a used roll. If you are uncomfortable with it, replace it with a new roll. Just set the partially used roll aside.

I always put a new roll out how ever long or short the stay is.  I bring the partial roll to my bathroom and use them up.

Kind of a silly question.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Blagoje0

As @Barb6 I also always leave a fresh and unstarted roll on the holder for each new guest. My motto is to clean and prepare the spaces to make each guest feel they are the first to use them.

Leaving half-used rolls of TP not only conveys a penny-pinching host attitude but is also a reminder to the new guest of something a stranger before them used. By taking and using the started rolls myself, they aren't wasted when removed.

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Blagoje0 we do the same as @Andrea9 and always put out new toilet rolls and keep any partially used ones for our family use.

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

I had a conversation with two friends who are also hosts. And they leave half-used roll of TP arguing that when their family come to visit, they put clean sheets, towels but not new unstarted roll if they have half used one, smartley saying they treat their guests same as family. I started this question because I was wondering am I the only one thinking opposite. ( @David & Fiona I did not ask what would guests do standing in front of half used roll , maybe my not so good english cause you to think that )

Thanks you all for feedback especially Andrea who always gives a thorough and clear point of view. I will send my friends URL to read this.

Little off topic @Andrea9 Your ability to shape the sentences is amazing and enjoyable to read.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Blagoje0

Thanks for the verbal 'flowers'. I sometimes re-read my texts after posting and wonder if anybody gets what I mean, haha.

But thank you, and I'm happy knowing it's appreciated  😄

Back to the TP - If it was a bathroom  I shared with guests I would be less particular (except replace the rolle if it only had very little paper left). As it is, it is a private guest bathroom, and that feels different to me.

Wow. Honestly, I never gave this ANY thought. I guess I'm with @Blagoje0's friends, lol. I do the same as for family and just make sure that there is plenty of rolls of toilet paper available to get through their stay. I would be happy to do this and give it a try, but I personally use VERY little toilet paper since I use a bidet (one roll takes me about two weeks, I think), so I anticipate building up a backlog of partially used rolls that I can't use fast enough =P

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I enjoyed this topic, silly or not. It is not something I have ever thought about. My tp arrangement is actually meant for paper towels. I use the freestanding holder to pile two rolls on it. The bottom is always an unused roll, but the top one is usually a partial roll. 

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

As we are, after all on the TP topic:) I am interesed how many unstarted rolls;) you leave for your guests? Lets say for two guests that stay five days. 

One roll per day should be PLENTY!!! Lol. I don't know though. I buy in bulk and just check weekly to make sure there is still toilet paper. I mainly just have guests on weekends though, so as long as there are a few rolls in stock in the bathroom, I consider it ok. I do think it's about time for me to buy another bulk pack though...

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

I instruct my cleaners to always leave a full roll. A half used roll always looks a bit cheap to me, and like the poster above, I think it reminds people (that don't want reminding) that someone else was there, used that toilet and slept in that bed.  I prefer to facilitate the fantasy that the room/apartment was prepared specifically for them.

Sideways rant - I used to use cheaper paper but I've now upgraded to a better quality toilet paper.  I recently stayed at an airbnb and it was fun to be reminded of the guest experience.   The first thing that I said to my husband was "psssh, these cheapos use single ply".  We had a laugh because we are cheapos too!   So no more single ply in my bathrooms 🙂

Like I said, just never thought of it, lol. I will give it a try and add it to my list of things to do, but I will use the most used rolls first and if I'm building a backlog, the guests will get the most filled rolls =P My place is pretty cheap unless you're coming with three or four people, so I don't know what people expect for cheap rent 😉 Similarly, I tried new toilet paper and I'm not happy with it. Once it's out, I'll go back to the kind I like. My fault, but it would have taken me like six months to go through just that small pack. I guess I could have not given it to the guests and taken the six months to get through it, but oh well... At least we're almost through it all 😃 We all try our best and I want my guests to be happy, but at the same time, we have to make enough money to be worth our while, while at the same time leaving the guests feeling like they got a good value, so it's tough to balance sometimes...

"A half used roll always looks a bit cheap to me, and like the poster above, I think it reminds people (that don't want reminding) that someone else was there, used that toilet and slept in that bed.  I prefer to facilitate the fantasy that the room/apartment was prepared specifically for them." - excellent idea! Thank you for being a good host thinking of "details" like this. Some hosts do not care to leave ANY toilet paper in the bathroom for their guests!