Total price needs to be a search filter

Sarah1349
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

Total price needs to be a search filter

Airbnb desperately needs to add a search feature that goes by total price. I see soooo many misleading prices - the nightly price is "low" and then the cleaning fee is hundreds of dollars. This really pushes out hosts who are properly pricing their listings, and makes it difficult for guests to find a listing within their personal budget. I know we've come a long way by Airbnb at least displaying the total price, but guests shouldn't have to do mental gymnastics to figure it out. Ultimately no one cares where their money is going, they just want to know how much they will pay. 

I've submitted my feedback through official channels and have brought it up on social media - I encourage everyone else to submit feedback as well. 

2 Replies 2
Lynda129
Level 3
Palm Beach, FL

The problem about the "total" price is that it does NOT add up anyways.

If you run a search including dates; Yes, you will see a total price (in fine prints under the nightly rate), but guess what !!!  Once you click on the listing to book, the final or "real" total price becomes different than the one quoted initially.  (Higher of course...)

I can't tell you how many guests are complaining about that.  I have been reporting that "glitch" to Airbnb who just pretends to not even understand the issue.  They sent me a long reply pretexting fees, cancellation policies, and more nonsense, were the reason why both "totals" did not match.

The way I look at it, guests care about one thing only: TOTAL PRICE.

Not "fake total" before "real total".  Not "total not including" who knows what.

They want to know what will be the REAL complete TOTAL from the first page of the search.

Airbnb so far has been deceiving our guests with FAKE news, by showing a fake total, for the guest to click on, only to realize..., that there is a NEW total on page 2.

If you challenge Airbnb phone representatives about that "system glitch", they have been trained to read a very long script that makes no sense whatsoever, in the attempt to justify why their advertised "total" price (on page 1) does not match the final total price (on page 2).

I believe Airbnb came up with their own definition of "total", which is not the one you will find in the dictionary.

Chelsea366
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I 100% agree! This drives me nuts about Airbnb and often sends me over to VRBO instead because they DO have that feature. Here is an example from a recent search for a 4 night stay:

Property A: $288/night with an $85 cleaning fee and a $0 service fee. Total cost = $1,237

Property B: $273/night with a $375 cleaning fee and a $207 service fee. Total cost = $1,672

That is a $435 difference in total cost. The "more expensive" nightly property is actually substantially cheaper than the "less expensive" nightly property. 

When people are traveling, they are budgeting based on the total cost of lodging.