Tourist taxes in Port St Lucie, Florida

Enid2
Level 1
Michigan, United States

Tourist taxes in Port St Lucie, Florida

i have been paying the tourist taxes to For Port St Lucie, Florida and Florida Revenue, when i read up on taxes it says that Airbnb is collecting taxes from the customer and paying it (11.5%) i have called Port St. Lucie and Florida Revenue and i was told that they have no record of AIRBNB paying it. i do not want to get into trouble with Port St. Lucie or Florida Revenue, i was told that i need the ID or account number that you are using and which would identify my rental unit. or if you can tell me what to do. Please advise me on the problem.

Thanks for your help

Enid

*title updated

3 Replies 3
Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Enid2

Type in occupancy tax into the search box in the front page of the community center - and you will have several posts with details and answers for you - and I know several of them specifically were about Florida.

Also the best call to make is to your local finance dept at your city / county town hall. They will tell you what to pay if anything but also more importantly what forms to complete for them to attribute any taxes Airbnb are collecting from your guests on your behalf.

Best Wishes.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Enid2,

Welcome to the Community Center! 

@Rachael26 has given you some great advice about this issue, it is worth contacting your local finance department about this and having a look around the Community Center to see if you can find any other discussions that cover this subject. 

Just to let you know, I have moved your post here to a new thread so that it doesn't get lost in another discussion and it is easier to find. I have also given it a title, please let me know if you want to change it!

In case you're not sure how to start a new thread - this CC Tutorial gives a step by step guide to starting a conversation in the Community Centre.

Happy Hosting!

Kirstie

Sandra683
Level 2
Jensen Beach, FL

@Enid2 I think the Occupancy Tax is different from the “bed/tourist” Tax which is 5%. Making for a total of 16% or close. I have received notice to pay the bed tax ( how did they get my personal info ?) Airbnb claims they do not pass on personal info? Would love to know more about this. And does it affect our homestead exemption?