Tricky situation with unruly guests and not much help from Airbnb

Rituraj2
Level 2
Bangalore, India

Tricky situation with unruly guests and not much help from Airbnb

Hello there, So we have been hosting from last 3 years with 300+ reviews and consistent SuperHost status with 4.8+ rating. Now last week we had two girls, typically we communicate house rules through a detailed message and a copy of it is placed in guest rooms also. And we have 3 rooms on Airbnb and we also stay in same house. All listings are marked Private room. Now this guest didnt bothered to read that message (which happens many times) and then started shouting at my wife that why other guests are around here and when we tried explaining to her that you have booked private room so ofcourse there will be other guests in common are, still she was throwing attitude at us. We sensed things wont go well for next 5 days so involved Airbnb to cancel them as we and our other guests were not comfortable around them. Now here is the tricky situation, as expected i got 1 STAR review from her and i know had i not cancelled her my other two guests would have given me bad rating due to problem they would have endured because of her behaviour. In this process my rating came down from 4.8 to 4.7 and hence risking my Superhost status, which i know i will re attain in next 2 months. I tried explaining to Airbnb on how they need to change something about their policy as this will anyway impact all hosts in such situation, but they sticked to their rheotric of policies 🙂 Now whats the best way to handle such situation in future ?

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Rituraj2 

How frustrating for you. You were absolutely correct to ask these guests to leave, most importantly because no-one should be shouting at hosts and upsetting other guests.

I hope you left an honest review for them and a thumbs down so they can't IB with other hosts.

You can't stop guests from leaving negative reviews, but your review will show too, so your future guests can see your side of the story. And of course they can see you other positive reviews.

The only thing you can do is vet all guests carefully to ensure there is a good fit.