Tring to get real help from AIRBnB

Tring to get real help from AIRBnB

We are Five star hosts that just completed our first full season.  We recently had two guests who invited many dozens of friends to the home and absolutely destroyed the home with vomit and urine everywhere, plugged toilets, damaged fixtures, ruined bedding, etc.etc. and when we complained to the company and asked for help to secure our security deposit we have had nothing but a run around.  They transfer our questions from person to person and make one excuse after another.  We initially were told that the guest agreed to pay but just needed a few days.  That was three weeks ago.  Now they refuse to answer our questions about further contact if any with the guest.  Of course they are forcing us to sue the matter out, but we were wondering if this is the pattern of practice that others are seeing with this company?  It really seems like the only people that matter in the transaction are the guests, no matter that they trash your house...  We would very much appreciate your thoughts!

Mike and Peg from Eden New York

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

This things wouldn't happen if hosts would be allowed to collect security deposit.  This is every host nightmare, unfortunatelly there are many posts with the same topic here on CC and everywhere, just google 😞

Elaine196
Level 2
Mary Esther, FL

I am a super host on Air BNB and I have a security deposit in place on my rentals -  I had a lady damage my table (left a glass of ice water on the table) -

The damage came to $700 - I had a $500 security deposit -  There is  a section on AirBNB where you can file a claim =  Did you list a deposit?  If so, go in and file a claim -

You only have so much time to file a claim once the guests check out

I feel bad for you but have had people say they are bringing 6 or 8 guests and 2 dogs and last week I went by and they opened the door -  There were at least 12 guest and 4 visible dogs!  I was pissed off!  Now I warn all guests if the exceed the limit there is a $100 per night per person for the overage - If I see more than 2 small dogs they will be asked to leave and I will keep the deposit and the money

In 3 days the guests used up 12 rolls of toilet paper and the house was filthy - It looked like they made mud pies on the floor

I couldn't get help with the table until I went on line and found where I could file a claim

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Just too much risk doing a whole house rental on Airbnb if you are not local.

- I try to meet every guest to make it clear I am around, ask why they are in town etc

- I have a small motion sensor which is useful to figure out how many people are coming and going. Lots of motion gets a bonus visit. It also tends to suggest smoking / vaping.

- I would definetly consider going with slice etc for insurance beyond what Airbnb is offering. 

- I'm more than happy to refund to remove guests if they are obviously going to be trouble.