Trip Length->Additional Requirements->Custom Rule->Specific Dates; Are they date-inclusive or not?

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Trip Length->Additional Requirements->Custom Rule->Specific Dates; Are they date-inclusive or not?

Hello again all!

If I wanted - for instance - to say "Two night stay required for Dec 24th and 25th" I know I have to do "Custom Date", but do I say Start Date: 12/24/2018 and End date is 12/25/2018 or should end date be 12/26? 

The reason I ask is that I know daily rate is date-inclusive. ie: I highlight the 24th and 25th and set the price in the calendar, but if i do start date of 24th and end date of 25th will it include the 25th overnight (ie: to MORNING of the 26th?)

I know I am not explaining this well. Essentially is End Date the date you don't want this to happen anymore (ie: the 25th wouldn't require the 2 night stay) or is end date the LAST DATE you want this to apply to?

ALSO, if I have a two night requirement for the 24th and 25th, can someone book the 25th but would HAVE to book the 24th OR 26th as well? Same question with if they booked the 24th, then they'd have to book the 23rd or 25th too?

Last question... If I had two night stay req. set for 24th and 25th THEN blocked (or someone already booked) the 23rd, they'd have to book the 24th AND 25th - and that would be their only option right?

Thanks for any help...

Some of these tools would be better if they had examples in the settings! ARGH!

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jann3  Maybe you are overthing this 😛  Think Check IN and Check OUT.  Count the midnights in between.  As for custom setting if you want a two day minimum for December 24-26 use that date range.  If you want a guest to be able to book a single night, you have to allow check out on the same day as check in.

So @Linda108, then according to @Steve143 (below) this is incorrect. I would mark 24-25th as minimum 2 night. Otherwise the 26th would need to be the 25 & 26th or 26th & 27th.

Urgh. Okay, gonna do the minimum and see how it goes.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Jann3,

The minimum stay requirement is attached to the check in date, not to stays that start earlier and overlap, in your example, the 24th to 25th period.

A 2 night minimum stay for the 24th to the 25th means that if a guest checks in on either the 24th or the 25th they must stay a minimum of 2 nights.

So if the 23rd has a 1 night minimum and someone books the 23rd they can stay one night if they so wish. They can, of course, also stay longer.

If they book the 24th they must check in then and stay for the night of 24th and the night of the 25th. If they book the 25th they must check in on the 25th and out on the 27th or later.

If you set a minimum 2 night stay for the 24th and the 25th and the 23rd is not available then someone can book the 24th but must checkout on the 26th or later. If they book the 25th they must check out on the 27th or later.

Steve.

@Steve143 

I know this is an old post, but I think I got caught up in this as well. I set some custom rules for min 6 night stays check in only on Sunday, starting on 6/26/21.  Someone booked from 6/23-6/27.  I accepted the booking since I'm new to this and didn't want to turn anyone down.   Do I have that, right?  My rules seem to have been set up correctly, but the overlap thing got me....right?

No worries, the rest of the week is open.  

Hello @Steve3189 ,

Aye, it's the overlap effect.

You're right, your rule that checkin can be only on Sundays and the minimun stay is to be 6 nights will come in to effect only for bookings from the 26th of June onwards. Bookings for nights before that won't come under that rule so can encroach on the 6 night period that starts on Sunday the 26th of June.

One tip when setting up new minimum night stay periods is to consider blocking at least one date before the start of the first period. That way people can't book a period that encroaches on the first of your new minimum night stay periods. Don't forget, though, that people can check out on the morning of a blocked date so, if you want a date with no checkouts or checkins block at least two dates.

In your case, if the 25th of June were blocked no one could encroach on the minimum 6 night period starting on the 26th. They could, of course, check out on the 25th had they checked in on the 22nd or earlier. It looks like you have a minimum 3 night stay requirement for those dates.

I hope hosting goes well for you.

Steve.

Thanks.  Now I know how it works.  I'm excited to start hosting!

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Steve143@Jann3 Thanks Steve - a really good explanation which I was quite interested in as it wasn't how I thought it worked! Seeing as you seem to have an excellent grasp of the Airbnb calendar, do you know if there is therefore any way to set up the availability so that a bookig over a specific day must be for at least 3 nights? For example I want a booking over a particular weekend to be for 3 nights if it includes the Saturday. I don't mind if it's Thurs/Fri/Sat; Sat/sun/Mon or Fri/Sat/Sun. But I would also be OK with just 2 nights, Thur/Fri. From your explanation (which I've tested as accurate!) I don't think this is possible. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Gillian

Hello @Gillian19,

All the minimum nights' stay settings apply to the checkin date.  So that rules out having a setup that allows the option of both a 2 night and a 3 night minimum stay for check in on a specific Thursday date.

For the specific weekend dates you want you could set a 3 night minimum stay for check in on both the Friday and the Saturday but if you set it for the Thursday as well then you'd rule out 2 night stays for the Thursday checkin.

Steve.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Steve143 Thanks for that. I'll try some different options!