Trip cancelled due to superior cause - any hope for reimbursements?

Fréd-and-Nina0
Level 1
Marseille, France

Trip cancelled due to superior cause - any hope for reimbursements?

Hi Airbnb Community,

we had to cancel a 2,5 week trip to japan due to superior cause - my partner Nina's dad being hospitalized with severe bone cancer one day before departure.

We obviously lost all our money on plane and divers other reservations, but also on the Airbnb reservations that were booked for the first two thirds of the trip.

It says on Airbnb that you can claim your money back due to superior cause - is there any way to do that apart from asking the hosts for reimbursement?

We have a document stating the date, location and name of the patient. 

We have quite a hard time already, it would be nice to at least not struggle with the financial aspects of all this.

Looking forward to any help or hints,

Fred and Nina

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Fréd-and-Nina0 ,

The Airbnb procedures to make a claim because of Extenuating Circumstances are rather strict.

You have to follow the procedures as mentioned here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Thank you for your feedback! I stumbled over this procedure before, but I never understood where exactly I can file for extenuating circumstances - any email adress, contact button or something else I miss?

Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

Hi @Fréd-and-Nina0 Talk to your host first, if the host can rebook the place he or she might be willing to refund you.

Otherwise, submit the claim for Extenuating Circunstances. AirBnB will request proof.

We had to cancel our reservation due to extenuating circumstances and Airbnb reimbursed us.

Thank you for the feedback! I can't seem to find the place where to submit the claim for extenuating circumstances, do you know where I can do this?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

First thing would be a claim on your travel insurance.

David

Thanks - unfortunately we are not insured

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Fréd-and-Nina0

I am sorry to hear what happened, how sad for your partner.

As hosts yourselves, you know that if you put in a claim for extenuating circumstance, your hosts will lose all the money for the booking and may not be able to get a replacement at short notice. Which is why I presume you are asking how it is possible to make a claim without it coming out of the hosts pocket.

The short answer is you can't through Airbnb.

However the good news is the  simple solution will be to claim on your travel insurance. I am sure for a major trip like this you would have taken out insurance, so this should cover all your accommodation and flights.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Fréd-and-Nina0  I am sorry that your trip is being interrupted by the terrible news.  I am also surprised that you booked such a complicated trip without insurance, but unfortunately you are learning an expensive lesson.  As to Air BNB, here is an article found in the Help Center about guest cancellations.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnb-s-guest-refund-policy

As to contacting Air BNB you should have a number to contact on your email confirmation, but if you can't find it, here is a general guide for contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728