Trouble cancelling an HOA unapproved listing

Laryssa4
Level 1
Oakland, CA

Trouble cancelling an HOA unapproved listing

My partner and I recently made a booking for NYE and afterward when we re-read the listing we were concerned by this paragraph. "Airbnb requires us to be discrete. By booking you agree to keep our business private. As far as anyone is concerned you are staying WITH me and I am onsite and present during your stay." We missed this in the original listing and when we re-read it realized it may mean the building might not allow AirBnb. We asked the host about this and we recieved no response. We felt both the directive and lack of explanation or response from the host was sketchy so we cancelled the booking. We did not want to feel uneasy during our stay, have to sneak around or worry about potentially getting kicked out or neighbors finding out. 

When we cancelled we were charged $2,500.00 by the host, despite the deceptive listing which apparently is an apartment in a building that does not allow AirBnB...though this is not explicitly stated.

We called AirBnB about the charge and they sided with the host, saying that the issue is between us and the host. They are not holding the host accountable for renting in a building that is not allowing it and NOT stating this in the listing.

Has anyone encountered this and have advice? We cancelled for very good reason and AirBnb won't help us get the $2,500.00 back.

Thank you,

Laryssa

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

You stated in your posting "We missed this in the original listing ". So this means at time of booking the discussed paragraph was not in the listing, and added afterwards ? It is clear that the host wants to hide something from the "outside" world. She probably is violating local rules or law, whatever they are. Airbnb is not in the position to check if every host or accomodation is obeying the local rules, but they warn potential hosts to check and obey this rules and laws thoroughly. If the violation is allready put on forehand on the guest shoulders, it will effect guests experience in a negative way. You end up in an illegal renting situation and you should not accept this, nor should Airbnb. The host is asking YOU to cooperate to a shady deal, i think it is an unacceptable request.

Best regards, Emiel

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Laryssa4. Are the messages about being discreet, asking you to say you are staying with the host on Airbnb's messaging system?  If so, I would advise contacting Airbnb again about this.  This is too much money to lose!  

If you have texts, copy them and send to Airbnb.  It sounds to me that this host is renting illegally and Airbnb shoud refund you.  Can you share the listing link?

Also, make a claim through Airbnb's Resolution Center and provide any proof you have about the host asking you to avoid letting anyone know you are renting through Airbnb.  If, after 72 hours the host does not refund you, or does not answer, you can choose to involve Airbnb.  A case manager will be assigned.  These case managers are a step above the regular customer service people and have more experience.  Here's where you start: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

I sure hope this gets resolved for you!