Trust and Safety nightmares

Mary4168
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

Trust and Safety nightmares

We are superhost family at the Airbnb since Sep.2019.
This is the second time around the Airbnb is sabotaging our listings.

We recently had a nightmare guest, who had horrible reviews on Airbnb. We tried to give them another chance and decided to host them.

She was a nightmare.  She Sub-rented our house to a group of film-maker and videographers to shot a commercial for Adidas, while she was away.
We saw in the surveillance camera's that a large group of filmmakers came to our house. They were taking all the furniture outside.  When i called her she didn't answer her phone calls.  After this incident, she lies to Airbnb, that her friends who were staying at a different house came to visit her.
after her check out she left a defamatory nasty review, full of insults and attacks.  lying about safety etc.

Her reviews were thankfully removed for violation of Airbnb, but the Trust and Safety department of Airbnb, which I do not trust a bit, email to go over her booking.  The last I was speaking to twisted the story around and 30 min. later she suspended all our listings.  She claims she's doing an investigation, based on the Guest's lies.  Are you kidding me? We asked to speak to another one of the untrustworthy of the "Trust and Safety", personal.  So far with Luck, this is since last Friday.  

We're planning to send the demand letter by tomorrow, and if this doesn't work, then Sue Airbnb for unlawfully framing us for wrongdoing that we haven't done.

Any suggestions??

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mary4168 Yet again an example of shoot first ask questions later. I really hope that @Catherine-Powell will actually take the time to look into these issues. There must be a few cases where immediate suspension is justified but these are surely few and far between.

Do let us know if taking Airbnb to court works and good luck.

I sent her a message directly, I sure hope she will look into this.  It seems like they’re trust and safety is always looking to slam people and delete and remove host families, without having any evidence

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mary4168  This suspending of listings business based on whatever a guest tells them is truly crazy and so anti-host, and sorry this has happened to you.

But accepting a guest who you say had horrible reviews makes zero sense to me. Why would you "give her a chance"? Why would you think she'd behave any better at your place than sshe had anywhere else? Other hosts left those bad reviews to warn you, but you paid no heed.

It's like being warned not to touch something because it's burning hot, but purposely placing your hand on it anyway, then screaming and yelling for help because you got burned. 

I could understand giving some 18 year old who only had one review, that said he was a nice guy, who communicated well, followed the house rules, but left the place a mess, a chance- he could easily have been under the impression that guests don't need to clean up after themselves, or he just didn't understand how to clean up because his mom always cleaned up after him, but a guest who has more than one "horrible" review isn't a guest anyone should be accepting.

I believe in giving second or third chances, but not to everyone. You are right and you are right.

My bigger disappointment is not directed at her. It’s  the Un trust and unsafety department off the Airbnb

@Mary4168 I can assure you that giving someone a third chance will never work out in your favor. A person  who doesn't change their behavior after being called out on it once, and even twice, is not going to suddenly act differently.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Mary4168 

That is so astonishing I can barely imagine it.

Removing the furniture from your house sounds a whole lot like burglary to me.

I suppose the “guest” gave them permission to do that, in which case she could be charged with conspiracy.

I have to wonder if the Trust and Safety team take criminal activities by guests into account when investigating hosts for frivolous complaints.

Seriously I’m curious about that too!!

The lady who called me from untrustworthy and  unsafety department of Airbnb was almost such a bully. She tells me, that’s the least I was expecting?? Of course.  She insisted to investigate into her lies, even though her review was flagged and removed immediately.  I said what do you mean. She said I got you??

I felt like I was speaking to a second grader, who feels happy to have the power of disabling our account, and she’s thrilled and excited about her crime.  It was sad and astonishing  at the same time.

are these people outside of the US, simply jealous of the host families.  

are they trying to find anything and everything wrong with our listings, or with our house thing to sabotage us??