Trying to get support for Short-Term Rental zoning in Daytona Beachside

Krista19
Level 2
Daytona Beach, FL

Trying to get support for Short-Term Rental zoning in Daytona Beachside

Hi Community!

We currently host in Daytona Beach and the city is starting to consider either banning Airbnb all together OR changing the ordinance to allow Short Term Rentals with rules/taxes.  We think it would be great if they would create an ordinance that allows Short Term Rentals with rules that we must follows.  Our goal is to get 5000 signatures and we need the communities support.  Here is our petition, let's stop the ignorance about our ability to share and get this community back towards prosperity!

Thank you!

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-daytona-beach-commissioners-and-mayor-tell-daytona-beach-commission...

42 Replies 42
Jayne34
Level 4
Deltona, FL

Hi Krista, 

Could u update me on current Daytona short term law and anything being done to change it? I have 2 houses here and posted 1 in air bb. The next week received a letter frim the city Im in violation of short term rental laws. Thats crazy. All hotels are charging outrageous prices for the uocoming race and bike weeks but even then are fully booked. Where does Daytoba expect these ppl to stay?

Jayne Rocco

Hi Jayne,  I was doing short rentals in Daytona and I received the violation letter this week.

Can you please advise me what to do next???   The letter says that my case will be  on re-examination this oct 24th

Thanks!!

richard_alarcon@hotmail.com 

Tami60
Level 2
Montana, United States

Hi Jayne

In the violation letter, were you also fined or was there a threat of being fined if you did not remove your listing?

Thank you

Krista19
Level 2
Daytona Beach, FL

Hi there!  We have a large group of homeowners that have filed a lawsuit against the city and are actively trying to fight this.  We would love for you to join our group but not sure how to get you my contact info.  Thoughts?

I would love to be a part ... experiencing this as well.  Are you able to tell me how to get involveed?

Yes, give me a call at 🙂  Krista

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi, Krista.  I just left you a message at that number.  We're considering investing in a multi unit property in Daytona in the T-4 zoning, which appears to allow short term rentals according to https://gis.codb.us/ExternalAccess/Planning/Uses/T-4.pdf

However, in my Internet research, you seem to know more about the laws/rules than anyone else!  If you have the time to contact me with any updates on the lawsuit or info about STR in Daytona, I would appreciate it!  Best,

Niecy

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Mike2059
Level 2
California, United States

@Krista19 They even didn't show your number, airbnb is falling. Can't even let the community communicate outside this platform!!!

I don't understand why this is fought so hard by some townships especially even if it's just one room or master suite you are renting while living in your own home on the premises and making sure no one is disturbing the residential neighborhood.  It helps fund keeping up the property. If they would allow it, but require people to update the property to certain standards, it would benefit the economy and the property values as a whole.

I want to get involved! I live in Seattle, WA and just purchased a beautiful home next to the beach. I want to rent short term instead of 6 months at a time. How much are the fines and how quick do they find out? If no one in neighborhood complains are you okay? I am more than willing to pay taxes. Do they bust you from that? Tell me how to get involved in making change.

Thanks,

Jeff

@Krista19

Are there any updates on your lawsuit?

Richard873
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Hi all, 

I am kind of concerned about short term rental violations. 

I recently purchased a home in a super quiet neighborhood of fairway states in Daytona beach and it's fully  furnished and has been posted on Airbnb two days ago.

I did not know that Daytona beach has short term rental rules.

Please advise me what to do

Regard 

Hi there, 

Our lawsuit injunction hearing is scheduled for Oct. 17th...unfortunately we won't know anything until then.  You are welcome to give me a call at the number on the strand above and I can fill you in on where we are currently. 

Krista

Hi Krista! Have you heard anything new since the October 17th date regarding this?  

Thank you for all your work on this. It is unconstitutional to not allow us our rights to renting out our own properties as we so desire.