Tv in living room and not bedroom

Tv in living room and not bedroom

I have since updated my listing to specify in the description there is a 55in tv in the living room only. I had pictures of all rooms and it showed the tv in the living room. My first guest asked where the tv in the guest bedroom was and expected me to move the living room tv into her room because she assumed it was in the guestroom.

So my question is for the listing should I only say there's a tv if it's in the bedroom?

This confusesd me especially with regards to a fridge, and microwave... I assume the guest expects those to be in the kitchen but I'm now wondering if people are going to assume there's a microwave and fridge in the guest room.

9 Replies 9
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Matt4362 If your listing description and photos only ever depicted tv in the LR and not BR, then there is nothing you need to do. If a guest demands something you don’t offer, just politely decline. This person was probably perusing many listings before booking yours, and got details confused. It happens a lot. Just make sure your listing is clear and accurate. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Sorry @Matt4362 when looking at your listing, it seems you do offer a tv in the guest room. It’s depicted in a photo as well. You will either have to provide the tv, or refund the guest a certain amount for the missing amenity.

1D0C3C09-AA65-4D9E-B257-A0D1EE42C50D.jpeg

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Like @Colleen253 says, @Matt4362; it's listed, so yes, you'll need to provide (or change your listing details). On a different note, having a camera in your lounge isn't going to go down well, regardless of whether guests see that on booking or not. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Matt4362   Your listing is describes and pictures the small TV in the guest bedroom, so it has to be there.  Suggestion -- mount the TV on the wall so that it can be seen from the bed -- it will be safe from being bumped into and broken, and also leaves the table free for guest use.  

So I wanted to clarify I did change the listing before making this post. I did put a 32in tv with a fire stick in the room and it is currently there. I was asked by 2 different people to put the 55in tv and tv stand in the room because my listing mentioned a tv (in the living though not the bedroom).

That seems to be a continuous problem that it's in the living room. The guests make it seem as if any amenities I list must be in the room itself. It confuses me on how I should list things because for example I have ceiling fans but not in the room so should I list or not list ceiling fans? It seems like if I did list ceiling fans they would then complain that there is not one inside the room.

For one person I did move the 55in tv but I will not do it again because it was a bad experience.

Also I'm not home 90% of the time because I work 12 hour shifts everyday. To me it's mind blowing why they can't just go watch the 55in in the living room when they are the only one that's even at the house... I'm new to Airbnb so I don't know if this just a few people being weird but the guests I've had so far are pretty odd people and they avoid any and all interactions. I was kind of expecting people would probably mostly keep to themselves but occasionally interact with me and or have a normal conversation every now and then or at least say hello/hi.

I am also working on mounting the tv I just haven't decided if I want to mount it on the closet wall or not.

@Matt4362  Ok, I see now. You might work with your listing description to make the clearest distinction possible between the shared spaces and the dedicated guest only space, and what amenities are in each. Make your headings for each section big and bold.

Shared Space

Guests are welcome to use the kitchen, which includes yada yada, the living room, which has blah blah blah. 

Private Guest Bedroom

Includes bed, closet with hangers, 32” tv and yada yada yada.

Private Guest Bathroom

This bathroom is used by the guest only and includes blah blah blah.

Also, I think it’s worthwhile to reiterate what guests are getting, at booking. ie “Hi, thanks for your interest! Just want to confirm you’re aware that you’re booking a room in my home, some spaces are shared, and that you’ve read the listing description and rules carefully. Let me know if you have any questions.”

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Matt4362    Your guests are being inconsiderate.  It is OBVIOUS that the larger TV is in the living room and a smaller TV is in the bedroom.  Of course, some people have no concept of size relationships and assume that every TV is huge.   Perhaps you can change the living room picture slightly to not feature the larger TV (take it from the kitchen and feature the seating available) and describe only the guest room TV in detail  -  32 inch [brand] Smart TV with Amazon Prime.   

I also tell my guests to have their streaming service codes so they can add them to the guestroom TV -- unless you have limits on your WiFi use.

I can't really speak to home share guests as my properties are whole house, but it does not surprise me that your guests keep to themselves and avoid the shared spaces -- they are renting a room, so they probably feel that that is where they should be hanging out.   

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Matt4362 It is unreasonable for guests to ask a host to move a TV from the living room and put it in the bedroom as long as its clear from the photos which TV is where.  I would never say yes to such a request.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Matt4362  The amenities you check off, like fans, hangars, etc, should  pertain to the private room, not the rest of the shared house.