UK fuel issues causing cancellations

Jane3259
Level 1
Thirsk, United Kingdom

UK fuel issues causing cancellations

I received a message from a guest yesterday to tell me that they were delaying their arrival due to the fuel shortages. They were due to arrive yesterday and will be informing whether they are coming at a later date. I have offered them alternative dates later in the year. What is the policy on refunds in this situation?

15 Replies 15
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I wondered how long it would be too see this on the board, @Jane3259, and - as it stands - I'd be pretty surprised if Airbnb have caught/added it to their long list of circumstances in which guests can cancel, scot-free.

What I would say is to be careful of the old date change trick which gives the iffy type of guests a way out.

Meanwhile, all five 'local' petrol stations in my neck of the woods sold out! 

@Jane3259    Under the current Extenuating Circumstances rules, your normal cancellation policy would apply in this situation. A temporary fuel shortage would amount to a transport disruption along the same lines as road closures or train cancellations, none of which are covered by extenuating circumstances. 

Assuming that Airbnb isn't going to override you here, it's up to you how you want to help the guests out - a date change or partial refund via Resolutions would both be generous offers. But of course, the guest could have also bought travel insurance that covered unexpected disruptions like this, so it's no obligation on your part.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

I agree with Andrew. But your post is a little unclear on the exact status of the booking. Have the guests cancelled, or are they holding the dates hostage? If they haven’t cancelled, then you have no possibility of refilling the dates. That’s an important detail. 

They cancelled their booking today and I have still received a partial payment for 2 out of 5 nights. They have messaged me to thank me for the refund, however, I am unsure how much they received. I am happy with this outcome.

@Jane3259   They will have been refunded the remainder of the payment minus Airbnb service fees. This sounds like a good outcome for everybody, and these guests sound like refreshingly reasonable people who will hopefully re-book when the situation is resolved.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Jane3259 . You can see what they were refunded by going to "Reservations" then to the "Cancelled" tab. Select "Details" beside that booking.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn't refund guests who cancel under these circumstances @Jane3259 

1. there is still petrol - you just need to queue in some areas

2. most locations in the UK are accessible by train/coax/bus

if the guests choose not to travel that's down to them . I wouldn't be subsidising them to stay for free at another time in the year or offering an additional refund to that they are entitled to under your cancellation policy . 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You're not speaking for the UK, @Helen3

210 mile round-trip today (to see my mum in her care home). 
All M25/M26/M20 stations out. As were the three stations at my destination (which wasn't accessible my train/coach). 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Nowhere did I claim to 'be speaking for all the UK @Gordon0  how did you read that into what I was saying . As you know on a forum you speak as an individual 😁😁

I was simply pointing out that in most areas including my home city of London there is petrol.  In London it's obviously more difficult as it's bearing the brunt of the shortages . 

Obviously you don't wait until you are on a motorway to buy it but buy it locally . 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jane3259 it is also amazing how far a limited amount of fuel goes if you drive slowly!

I'll remember that, @Mike-And-Jane0, when I'm driving the 211 miles to Manchester on Thursday...in a car that says it has 145 miles left. Eek!

@Gordon0 I drove my daughter's car from Derby to St Albans (120 miles or so) and had more range left at the end than I did at the beginning. I suspect she has a very heavy right foot!

Good luck with your drive - You may even get lucky and find some fuel along the way although the motorway service stations are somewhat more expensive than their usual criminal prices

An update, @Mike-And-Jane0 - I set off with the range suggesting 145 miles. Using adaptive cruise control (for the first time) and sticking to a lower-than-normal 70mph, the range didn't drop until I was on the M40.

I could have easily have done it with what I had, but (another) M6 closure diversion meant going through Stafford centre and a petrol station with no queue!

Back to London now tho and not a whiff of petrol to be had. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

There was not a drop of fuel in Hemel Hempstead for ages @Gordon0 @Mike-And-Jane0 .

Actually, when there WAS a drop off of fuel, the petrol stations had jacked up the prices 10p a litre and it was still call gone by 5am. Luckily we walk my son to nursery and I can walk to the leisure center. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines