US Taxpayer Info for Property Managers in Mexico

Occan0
Level 2
Mazatlán, Mexico

US Taxpayer Info for Property Managers in Mexico

We manage several properties in Mexico, for American owners. As a business, we receive our payouts in Mexico, where we operate. We split the payout with the owner 20/80, where the owners receive their funds in US accounts. It seems like I should be filling out the W-9 form to include the owners' tax information, but I have a few questions regarding this form:

If the W-9 form is for "US person or entity", why would it state #3 below? Airbnb has not been able to answer this for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under penalty of perjury, I certify that:

1. The number shown on this form is my correct taxpayer identification number (or I am waiting for a number to be issued to me); and
  2. I am not subject to backup withholding because: (a) I am exempt from backup withholding, or (b) I have not been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or (c) the CRA has notified me that I am no longer subject to backup withholding; and
  3. I am a Canadian citizen or other Canadian person; and
  4. The GIIN(s) entered on this form (if any) indicating that I am exempt from FACTA reporting is correct.

The Canadian Revenue Agency does not require your consent to any provision of this document other than the certifications required to avoid backup withholding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, should I fill out form W-8BEN for our business (I am not a US person, I do not have a US taxpayer ID number)? This form asks for the name of the "Beneficial Owner". Since the payout are split, who would be the beneficial owner? Or is the Mexican tax information that we already uploaded enough?

I find very little support available for property managers, and Airbnb just says that they don't provide tax advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I am sure I will have more questions going forward as well 🙂

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would speak to your accountant and see what they advise @Occan0 . This isn't a question for Airbnb.