Unable to cancel a pending booking as a guest

Maeve1
Level 1
South Fremantle, Australia

Unable to cancel a pending booking as a guest

Hello,

I wished to make a booking for two nights in Tasmania, but wanted to query my host re distance to certain landmarks etc first.  I noticed I could not contact the host until I in put my cr card details and "booked" the dates.  There was a notice on this page to say that I could cancel within 24 hours.  I sent the query to the host, but within 3 hours decided that the booking didn't  suit. I immediately messaged  the host to cancel the enquiry/booking.  In the meantime the host received a request from Air BnB to reserve the 2 nights, and thinking that I had changed my mind, she accepted the booking.  

So, I was charged $26 for a booking I hadn't even decided on, and certainly cancelled within 24 hours.  I tried to cancel the reservation myself (as a guest) but the site page stated it was pending, and I had no opportunity to do so within 24 hours.  This is totally unfair. I am a host, and would like to become a guest, but if I cannot contact the host without the Air BnB system charging me $26 this just won't work for me.

I would appreciate any advice/help.

Thank you

Maeve 

1 Reply 1
Queenie0
Level 10
United States

This is a host-managed forum. You need to contact Airbnb customer service directly. The contact phone number should be on your reservation (laptop version).