Unable to perform action. Please try again later or contact support if you need immediate assistance

Evy5
Level 1
Rio Rancho, NM

Unable to perform action. Please try again later or contact support if you need immediate assistance

I'm very new to Airbnb. 

I managed to book 2 different places for our family vacation using airbnb for the first time in my life. Everything went through perfectly and I made the payments.

Turned out I have to invite every single member and have them accept the 'invitation' by creating airbnb account despite I booked for my entire family when making reservation. I saw posts that it's not really required to do so but I like to make sure everything goes through without problem so I decided to go through all the work.

Most of us have emails so that was not a problem BUT since I was only one off work today, I had to do all of it using my desktop and when I tried to have my dad sign up so he can accept the invitation, we got "Unable to perform action. Please try again later or contact support if you need immediate assistance" message.

He's only one who can't make the account which is odd because I know for a fact that he never had Airbnb account nor used any airbnb in his entire life.

I tried to log back in my account which gave same message for every single one of us!

I tried to clean the cache and history, didnt work.

Used different devices (laptop, smartphone app), still nothing.

Installed different browsers - firefox- (my first browers, Chrome and Safari, didn't work) and it gave same message.

Changed my password and I was finally able to get in.

I tried to have him sign up with different email that I use for back ups and same thing happened over and over again.

It would send him invites but when he try to create account, it shows same message and I have to change password again just to be able to log in.

I contacted the hosts since airbnb apparently doesn't have its own customer services contact information, but I haven't got any replies yet.

I'm hoping that they will reply within today as I did not get any message from them when I booked the place and I'm starting to get very nervous about the whole thing since I've never done this before.

I don't know what to do at this point.

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

I think this is a rather strange situation, maybe ask Airbnb for advice ?

A quote from your posting:

"contacted the hosts since airbnb apparently doesn't have its own customer services contact information, but I haven't got any replies yet."

Yes, you can contact Airbnb Custumer Services in different ways, it's described here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

It also includes phone numbers for  US:

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Best regards,Emiel

I was actually trying to find a way to contact them through their website or email.

I prefer it that way since it actually gives me written proof rather than verbal speech.

I actually have tried the their help link before posting here and tried the one you posted just in case but it didn't work. Everytime I try to contact airbnb on help, it keeps directing me to the host and only available choices are booking or travel related, not technical or account problem that I'm having.

I guess I will have to either contact airbnb or the host through the phone as I still haven't got reply from the message I sent...

Thank you for the suggestions though 🙂

Zan1
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Unable to perform action please try again through the website or contact support if you need immediate assistance

The same thing has happened to me. My account kept displaying the same error you listed above if I would try to accept a reservation from a friend or try to book a new one so I’ve tried making new accounts and that doesn’t fix it. Now that I’ve resorted to using other airbnb accounts, the same error has now spread to my friends and family’s accounts. (2 friends and my wife)

This only happens once I add my payment on their account to pay for a trip. All of them were able to complete 1 initial reservation when I added my payment and immediately started getting errors. None of our accounts are able to book new listings now and they all show the same error you’ve listed above when we try to do anything. 

At first I thought it might be my payment method that is being flagged for use on multiple accounts or has been somehow blackballed on Airbnb for suspected fraud but I’ve used different cards for all of the accounts that were locked out and I’ve checked with all my financial institutions and they have verified that everything is clear on their end.

All 4 of us have called into airbnb support and spent hours on the line only to be fed the same line at the end that they can’t figure it out and “only such and such department can handle this I will have them email you” and literally none of us have ever received an email. 

Lastly, I did some digging and found that I had an outstanding invoice due from Airbnb from years back (when my account was still working) that needed to be settled so I paid that thinking that MUST have been the reason every account I touch gets locked up. That also was not the problem. I’ve tried everything you’ve listed above as well, desktop, tablet, phone different accounts, clearing cache etc. This is a problem that is locking up accounts and needs to reach a developer or admin that can see why. Nobody on Tier 1 support is even going to be able to scratch the surface of this. Someone with the know-how please see this and figure this out.

Oleg48
Level 1
Santa Clara, CA

yep, airbnb sucks

Lee394
Level 2
Emu Point, Australia

Come on Airbnb fix it!!

i am facing it now. has it been fixed?

I think this is to-do with your password being reset and you being able to log on at the same (with your old password) time before the password change has gone through. 

I had this message and clicked on messages, in the top right near my profile,  which it said it couldn't load, then the load inbox link, after that it prompted me to change my password even though I had done so about 5 minutes earlier. 

No I can log on after the password has gone through and I am back up running searches as normal. 

Why is the Airbnb website so incomprehensible? It is by no means user friendly, especially where senior citizens are concerned. I can honestly say that I have wasted a lot of time today trying to make a simple booking which could have been done by telephone in about 5 or 6 minutes. I am getting idiot messages whichever way I try to enter  phone numbers where requested. 

The creators of the website should be paid in brass washers only. It all needs a dramatic shake-up. It is a disgrace.    CAN ANYBODY OFFER ME SOME SENSIBLE WAY FORWARD?

DAVID.