Unauthorized amount for $5000 from my bank account

Unauthorized amount for $5000 from my bank account

HI,

I just found out that AirBnB charged my account $5000 and I can't find any information on the website of what happened. Can anyone suggest what is the best way to handle this problem ASAP? I neither used AirBnB as a host or traveler in the past several years.

K

23 Replies 23

@Kinam0   I would contact Airbnb asap this is a host forum Airbnb Support do not monitor it,  if it were me I would also call my bank and/or credit cards and put a block on all my accounts and dispute the payment.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Kinam0. Who charged it exactly? Who appears as the receipient of that money? When hosts are paid, it is not Airbnb as the sender, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Edit: You hosted in 2016. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4   "When hosts are paid, it is not Airbnb as the sender,"

Airbnb is always listed as sender on my statements when I receive money.  Maybe they have different named company accounts for different countries?

It might be the case, @Ange2. For me it's Earthport London. That's why I asked @Kinam0 about the receipient.

@Marzena4   "Earthport "  interesting name!   Wonder if Airbnb are looking to space travels in the future

Heh, @Ange2, trust me, it's really like that 🙂

Earthport.jpg

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

EARTHPORT, Love it, all I get is AIRBNB INC

@Marzena4  I am sure it is.  I just thought it was an amusing name and visualized Airbnb marking  out branding for future space-travel listings.

Hi thanks everyone, I spoke with both Airbnb and my bank. Airbnb has no transaction from my side so it looks like someone used my card to rent a Airbnb flat in the U.K. I canceled my card but I'm not sure if this is worth pursuing with Airbnb so try to catch this person? 

In fact it is the bank to pursue an authorized usage of your card, @Kinam0. Do you think someone copied your card details from Airbnb and used it on Airbnb? Who? Admins/IT staff?

@Kinam0, using a stolen card to rent an AirBnB flat seems like a poor plan.

"Hello police? The person who stole my card will be at this address on this day starting at about 3 pm. They will be there the whole week. Please provide them with accomodation in your lovely jail. Thank you."

@Matthew285 so does the card get charged in the beginning of someone's stay? Or at the end? It was just charged on Jan 2 so if I alert AirBnB, they can still catch this person?

@Kinam0, AirBnB is not like hotels (that charge you a deposit, then the total at the end of the stay).

AirBnB charges the guest the entire amount on the day they make the booking, regardless of when the stay is.

For example, if a person makes a booking for a week staring March 1, 2018, they will be charged the full amount TODAY, and AirBnB will hold the money. On March 2, 2018 after the guest checks in, the Hosts share is sent to the Host.

AirBnB will hold onto the money for the entire time between the booking and the stay.

You should probably be alerting both AirBnB and the bank your card is from. Tell them everything you know and maybe they can figure out who did this. AirBnB should at least know whose profile made the booking. Whether that can lead them to an actual person is another issue.

@Matthew285 so does the user's card get charged in the beginning of someone's stay? Or at the end? It was just charged on Jan 2 so if I alert AirBnB, they can still catch this person?