Unauthorized parties

Answered!

Unauthorized parties

Hi all!   Can I ask for guidance on how you screen to avoid unauthorized parties?  I am a super host, I NEVER use instabook, I always require guests to confirm number of guests, I make it clear we live on the property, I mention the drive is shared with out cars,  I don’t allow children under 18, I have a max of three people total despite it being a 4 bdrm home, I ask lots of questions -all coated in sugar and for the most part, things work out well.  But last night broke me. A party developed from a guest who, looking back, flat out lied about their intentions.  A story of a funeral in the family turned into a raging party that I had to involve the police.  They cleared more than 30 people from my home at 1am.  My  NO SMOKING home was filled with a tick could of haze from cigarettes, pot and incense. A police report was filed, damages were documented, and after sitting on hold for a loooong tome with air bnb Io now know little more than I did.  What other precautions do you take to screen and vet guests? I wish we had access to more information about potential guests before accepting bookings.  I’ve removed my listing for now as I’m so shaken by last night.  Need a chance to regroup and think about things going forward. Thanks in advance! 

1 Best Answer

@Laura4700 A local area code would definitely be a heads-up, but these days many people have phone plans that are not charged extra for long distance calls within their country. 

I've had a few guests whose phone numbers had area codes from one state, when in fact they had moved to another state on the opposite side of the country. Some still had the same number active, others had just neglected to update their account info when they got a new number. 

But a local area code is probably a local guest.

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura4700  So sorry this happened to you. It really sounds like you are doing everything humanly possible to screen for this kind of behavior- a bad one just slipped through with no warning.

The only thing I can think of, based on what you have said here, is not to continue "coating  it with sugar" when vetting guests. There's nothing wrong with stating things firmly yet politely, to get across the understanding that you weren't born yesterday and won't be sweet about it if guests break your rules.

Many hosts state in their listing, and in messages with guests when they book something to the effect of "No unregistered visitors unaccounted for on the booking will be admitted to the property. Failure to respect this rule may result in immediate eviction with no refund given."

It might sound harsh, but guests with no such intentions won't be offended by it and it will dissuade any with nefarious intentions from trying to book.

And while I see that you mention that you live on the property, rather than having that as the last sentence of your description, I would make that more prominent- mention it at the very beginning, perhaps. "Please note: this is an owner-occupied property, a working farm. Our home is completely separate from the listed home and we respect our guests'privacy, but are always available if you need assistance."

Thank you, Sarah. These are valid and smart suggestions!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura4700 Were the guests local? This seems to be the biggest party red flag.

I’d love to know that too.  That info wasn’t on the guests profile.  I did get suspicious when I dig further for a contact number when she drug her feet replying - her area code was local. A hint indeed looking back

@Laura4700 A local area code would definitely be a heads-up, but these days many people have phone plans that are not charged extra for long distance calls within their country. 

I've had a few guests whose phone numbers had area codes from one state, when in fact they had moved to another state on the opposite side of the country. Some still had the same number active, others had just neglected to update their account info when they got a new number. 

But a local area code is probably a local guest.

You’re absolutely right.  I learned a good lesson. Red flag for sure in hindsight

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura4700 Also make sure you follow the host guarantee rules to the letter or you will fail in any claim that might be forthcoming for the damage caused.

Thank you!  I should brush up on those before my next call with air bnb scheduled for tonight. Thanks! 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura4700  Sounds like you are quite thorough in your prevention methods. Very disappointing and upsetting to have an incident happen despite that. Do you rely on guests to read the house rules? Reality is the majority don’t. Many don’t even thoroughly read the listing details. Do you reiterate in your messages with guests that you live close by on the property? 

I would have to agree with you, they likely don’t read the house rules.  I’m always conscious not to seem like its an interview or an interrogation. I wouldn’t want to run anyone off and after all, we want these guests to feel welcome and enjoy their stay.  Sometimes I feel like I come across as “you can come stay at my farm, but don’t you dare set foot outside of the house, even think about parking anywhere other than where I said and DO NOT even think about interacting with my horses, my pool, my fire pit or my barns!”  Who would even want to come stay if I didn’t add the flowery language? Lol

@Laura4700 The trick when wording things that could seem overly restrictive is to make it sound like it's to the guest's advantage. So in stating where guests are not allowed to wander about, you say something like "As this listing is on a working farm, for the safety of our guests, as well as privacy for both guests and host, we require that you do not wander outside the guest designated-areas."

That’s a fine idea, turn it around to benefit the guest. Great tip! Thanks Sarah

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Laura4700 

I am so sorry to hear about your experience last night.

Beside you’re feeling disappointing, you’re even unlist your listing and block the calendar. That showing you're extremely upset and frustrated with the guest, by lying thought their teeth.

As a matter of fact, you're doing very well and absolutely correct in your listing announcement!

As you had clearly described in your listing, 

"Owners reside on the property in the guest house."

"Access to the main farmhouse via key from the owner"

Again, the reminder in the house rules, " This is a no-smoking property."

"No parties or loud entertaining."

Nevertheless, things are still happening, unpredicted and out of your hand!

Do consider hosting an "Entire home" of the farmhouse, can instead of  multiple listings as "Private rooms " or " Guest Suites" in the historic farmhouse.

Total of 3 Airbnb listings, 

1. Listing of "Superior  Suite"  - 1 guest
  2. Listing of "Deluxe Suite "    - 1 guest
  3. Listing of "Executives Suite"   - 1 + extra 1 guest( extra fee )

Make the price calculation of the 3 " Guest Suites"  equally or be higher than the " Entire Home", cause it will be definitely more works for you.

Of course, it's not easy to organize the 3 " Guest Suites " in the same times, that why the price must be more than present rate and must add in an extra cleaning fee for each listing.

To prevent any incident happen again, do set up a few cameras in the entrance, back door, living room and kitchen. Be mindful, during the farmhouse are complete with the guests, they may join up to have a drink or dinner together. Certainly, 3 or 4 guests met up and socially are fine than a guest by bringing a group of person for unauthorized parties and take advantage.

If I have a beautiful farmhouse like yours, I may consider the individual " Guests Suite", even though the guest is necessary to share the living room, shared bathroom and shared kitchen may cause inconvenient.

Yet, you definitely get more income than a “ Entire home ". 

Besides, the affordable price and well located, more chances and more guests to the farmhouse.

Indeed, your goal is you're staying next door, you can walk-in anytime you wish, drop by to the farmhouse for a check-up and have a cup of tea,, talking about horse with your wonderful guests! 

Ada Farmhouse “ Superior Suite”Ada Farmhouse “ Superior Suite”

Ada Farmhouse “ Deluxe Suite”Ada Farmhouse “ Deluxe Suite”

Ada Farmhouse “ Executive Suite”  or Executive Business Suite”Ada Farmhouse “ Executive Suite” or Executive Business Suite”

Hope you're feeling better.

Happy Hosting. 

Thank you for your kind compassion, Dan and Dale. I like this idea very much.  I’m actually not too interested in booking more people here, I know that sounds strange, but a guest here or there or on a weekend has been just fine.  But like you say, if I offer ‘suites’ then then I could still behind the scenes just book one ‘suite’ at a time. So the guest would actually have the privacy of the whole house and I wouldn’t have too many people at my home. I don’t have a ton of parking.  This is definitely something to give serious thought to. Thank you so much!