Unconsented application of Modified Strict policy

Skye11
Level 2
Forest Lodge, Australia

Unconsented application of Modified Strict policy

I know other hosts have had this happen so hoping for advice on how it was resolved ... back in May and without my consent my listing was co-opted into the "Modified Strict" Beta, instead of my usual Strict policy. I didn't realise or know and have now had a cancellation for a long standing booking over a premium long weekend date. Guest has received a full refund except for the more than $500 Airbnb service fee ... and I have received nothing!!

Airbnb are trying to say I had a "Firm" policy in place ... this is completely untrue. And if it was "Firm" policy - isn't guest fully refunded? (I've found the original booking email which says "Modified Strict").

They're saying I'm not eligible for anything ... Sydney is now under full lockdown with all my bookings cancelled and I will not be able to rebook these dates (this is exactly why I have a strict policy in place in the first place) ... has anyone had any similar experience getting Airbnb to admit their error?

Thanks,

Skye

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Skye11 If Sydney is under full lockdown then I believe Australian law means you would have to refund guests as it is illegal for you to host them.

If, in this situation a guest is not fully refunded (inc Airbnb fees) then the guest should take Airbnb to the small claims court

Airbnb's only error is not to also refund the service fee - Other than this they are ensuring you are complying with the law.

Technically not illegal to host people - guests could be moving house or similar, and just need to comply with stay at home orders, and this is for a future date which is after our current (planned) lockdown end. Either way I have a Strict policy in place as people know by now they may not be able to travel if lockdowns occur - in the same way I have lost money on hotel bookings I couldn't take due to lockdowns. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Skye11 Airbnb glitches are so rampant that it’s a good idea to get in the habit of doing a settings check daily. I’ve had my check in time revert to flexible on its own a few times. It was finally determined it was a bug tied to making changes in booking settings. Sorry your cancellation policy was switched spontaneously. 

As far as I’m aware, modified strict became ‘firm’.  

Skye11
Level 2
Forest Lodge, Australia

Thanks Colleen. It's just so frustrating they don't own up to these glitches - surely they have access to backend logs which show when and how policies are switched. It just makes me so angry that they're profiting off their error, and leaving me with nothing (I don't mind the guest was refunded, it's just Airbnb keeping their fees that's driving me crazy!)

Michelle354
Level 3
Fullerton, CA

95AC2442-9350-4371-A38C-21DBDC69086E.pngThis just happened to me and he argued there isn’t a glitch and there’s no way it can change unless I did it. Literally have always had the strictest allowed for over 10 years and he’s going to deny that when they change their policies, the app and software doesn’t throw people into different categories?? Lie. It even says error in booking settings right now.