Unexplained 38% monthly discount

Answered!
Nordia0
Level 2
Sister Islands, Cayman Islands

Unexplained 38% monthly discount

So a guest booked one of our spaces and instead of getting the usual 10% monthly discount, he got a 38% discount. I contacted Airbnb almost a week ago and they still have not been able to find where this apparent glitch occurred or remove it. My settings  still say 10%. 

Anyone has a similar experience? Any ideas?

1 Best Answer

I can't edit the remarks in my comment above but I can correct it here.
AirBnb phone support helped me out with this.
What was going on in our case was there were some old "Custom Monthly Prices" on the listing 

Unfortunately, these are hidden out of view on the Pricing and availability page.

To see them, you first have to click on the Edit link next to Monthly Discount.
Then, beneath the Tip suggestion for the discount in your area, there is a link labeled

Set a custom price for a specific month

Click on that and there are the custom prices.

I must have set these up during Covid when there were not many short term bookings. Probably better to avoid this feature and just use the monthly discount percent (if that!)

Prices have gone up so much in our area that these custom prices were WAY off.  

Also, don't forget to click the black SAVE button below after you make the edit. We kept erasing the discount and it would be back again because we didn't see the Save button down on the next screen. 

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31
Sharon1342
Level 2
San Luis Obispo, CA

Yes. We had a request for 28 days and our guest was given a huge discount. I didn’t notice it until the guests were about to arrive. I contacted Airbnb and was told there was as no bug report for this issue. They stated that I made the change for a monthly discount. They couldn’t produce a log of when the change was made. It was as March 2021 when the reservation was made. Can you contact me? Prostovich at me period com

did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having the same issues, and noticing the customer service immediately defaulted to "oh you have a custom discount setting for 15% off for 12 weeks" I NEVER would have set that. I'm curious if airbnb went in and put these settings on some host's profiles. It's extremely fishy.

I have my smart pricing on, but minimum is set to $59, and somehow guests are getting to book at $51 a night, plus a FAT discount, which is WELL beyond the 5% I have for monthly, as well as clearly beyond the 15% they are trying to claim as well (plus the guests are booking for 28 days, not 12 weeks).

It's such a ruckus... and the numbers aren't adding up.

Nordia0
Level 2

It's been 'escalated' for months now. Lol Customer service @.airbnb has no clue especially because it's all outsourced. I had to make changes to the listing. No bookings beyond 27 nights so the discount won't appl

Rahim251
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

same issue , I do not know how to fix, could you please help me out if you see my massage ? thank you

https://www.airbnb.com/manage-your-space/51459977/details

Nordia0
Level 2

I set the maximum stay to 27 nights so no one can book for a month. Have not found any other solution still.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Rahim251 

First: This the general URL to your listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/51459977

You do not mention details about the issue you encounter.

Please be more specific and provide correct URL

Can not check monthly stays, as you limit stays to 27 nights.

If discount for monthly stays is incorrect, then check your listing on all settings which can affect the monthly discount (there are multiple !)

Thanks for quick response, since monthly discount is so high like over 40 % automatically. I edited Maximum Stay was 27 days . So the problem is, if you chose under 28 days for stay. It is normal price and discount that I settled. But if you make reservations over 28 days .m, there are enormous discounts over 40% . I don’t why.  I checked all over the week where the problem generated, but I could not find it. Please help me to fix it. Thank you 

Thanks for quick response, since monthly discount is so high like over 40 % automatically. I edited Maximum Stay was 27 days . So the problem is, if you chose under 28 days for stay. It is normal price and discount that I settled. But if you make reservations over 28 days .m, there are enormous discounts over 40% . I don’t why.  I checked all over the week where the problem generated, but I could not find it. Please help me to fix it. Thank you 

the first one is over 35% discounted automatically , the second one is even over 80%

•  
the first one is over 35% discounted automatically , the second one is even over 80%

•  

Dear Emiel 

I checked all my setting , could not find the problem where generated. so please help to handle this.  I sent the email already.

thank you

Rahim251
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

Thanks for quick response, since monthly discount is so high like over 40 % automatically. I edited MaximumStay was 27 days . So the problem is, if you chose under 28 days for stay. It is normal price and discount that I settled. But if you make reservations over 28 days .m, there are enormous discounts over 40% . I don’t why.  I checked all over the week where the problem generated, but I could not find it. Please help me to fix it. Thank you 

the first one is over 35% discounted automaticly, the second one is even over 80%
Lena5256
Level 2
Perth, Australia

I had to discover this too. Guest received 431.00 discount which equates to 28% though my listing is set to 15%.

CS tried to tell me I have set a monthly discount of $431 which I can't even see from the app. 

When logging into desktop today I found discount set to $1200.00 for each individual month.

Clearly they are tinkering with the settings.

This is exactly what happened to me today.  A guest sent an inquiry and there was a huge discount applied to their reservation.   I checked on the monthly reservation discount and there were $1,200 listed as discounts for every month of 2023.  I never set those discounts.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Antonio3229 ,

Did you connect with customer support to know more about this issue?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Antonio3229
Level 2
Laredo, TX

Hi, did you get any assistance from AIRBNB?  I am having a similar issue.  A guest sent a reservation inquiry and they were quoted a $1,200 discount.  I had set no monthly discounts.  Somehow AIRBNB autogenerated a discount of $1,200 for Jan - Aug 2023.  I called AIRBNB and they basically gaslit me.  Telling me that I had set the discount.   They had me second guessing myself for a minute.  After doing further reading and research on the community center, I am noticing that I am not the only host experiencing this situation.   Another user is saying that this monthly discount glitch is being generated for stays that are over 28 days - they say they have reported this to AIRBNB but they have not heard back.   I am very frustrated with AIRBNB right now.  

I have the exact same issue right now, a guest just got a $10,000 discount on a $14,500 stay for 31 nights. They are claiming the same that this is our fault. we have a 3% monthly discount listed. They want to charge a $450 cancellation fee or block our calendar completely for the entire month of august, our most popular month.

Joey28
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Jp8 has the answer down below and I elaborate on how I fixed mine afterwards. Spread the word...

🙂