Unfair Guest Complaints & Refund Request

Patrick369
Level 1
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

Unfair Guest Complaints & Refund Request

Hi Airbnb,

I would like to make a complaint as I was not treated fairly for the refund by Airbnb host in Vietnam (Receopt Number [Personal information hidden]. Confirmation code: [Personal information hidden]. (I reserve the right to take legal action to accuse the host & Airbnb)

Background:
I have on 25 July 2017 made a online request of reservation from Airbnb for Luxury Pool View 2BR Apartment at Hyatt Danang Vietnam with Mr. Lee from 22-28 August, 2017. On the same day Mr. Lee replied to me that "Available 25-28/8". Then I replied him immediately said: Sorry Lee, If only 25-28 August, 2017. This is not okay for us. Thanks. He then replied to me: Please waiting few hours for this booking, I will check again.

On the same day 25 July 2017 evening, I emailed him again as I didn't hear from him back after few hours :- Hi Lee, Any news if room is available for me from 22-28 August, 2017? Thanks Br. Patrick. However by end of the day 25th, still no reply from him.

On 26th July 2017 morning, I wrote again to Mr. Lee: - Hi Lee, Can you confirm if room is available from 22-28 August, 2017? Thanks. Br/ Patrick

On 26th July 2017 afternoon, as I still not receiving any response from him, so I wrote to him:- Hi Lee, I didn't receive any response from you after last night so I have booked another one. Please cancel this booking. Thanks Br. Patrick.

Actually I have booked via Airbnb again with Mr. Thuy for Luxury Apartment Ocean View 2BR B In Hyatt hosted by [Personal information hidden]. (Reservation code:[Personal information hidden]

At almost 30 mins after I confirmed the booking with Mr. Thuy for Luxury Apartment Ocean View 2BR B In Hyatt, I received an email from Mr. Lee saying "Thank you". Then another email to charge me the fees for Luxury Pool View 2BR Apartment at [Personal information hidden] Vietnam with Mr. Lee.

I immediately replied back to Mr. Lee:- Hi Lee, Just received your confirmation but I have changed to other booking since I didn't hear from you since last night. Please cancelled my payment transfer and sorry for the inconvenience caused. Thanks. Br.Patrick

Then I asked Mr. Lee for 100% refund and he wrote to me: I had to change my customer 23-25/8 to other apartment with high rate for your period. I will refund but I need you know Airbnb Policy and I do it within 24 hours. And now, you told me that you need refund 100% rightnow.

I have also applied the 50% refund immediately from Airbnb Team.

In conclusion: I think there are miscommunications in between which leading me to book other apartment before he officially replied me at 18:35. I admitted that both parties had certain level of faults. So I agreed to pay 5% as penalty but definitely not 50% forfeited due to cancellation. That's not fair to me as not all the fault was coming from me.

I hope Airbnb can help to settle this and give me an answer. Thanks

Regards

Patrick [Personal information hidden]

4 Replies 4
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

This is not a Airbnb support @Patrick369 

There are several ways of contacting them and guides can be found here on these community pages. But these pages are not monitored by Airbnb so you might wanna find your local support number and call them.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Patrick369

you should contact Airbnb immediately when your host have told you that the apartment is not available for the entire stay. Airbnb would cancel your booking without any penalties for you.

Or.. in case your host don't have strict cancelation policy you could cancel by yourself BEFORE you booked new accomodation. In this case you would be refunded 100%  . You can do this up to 3x  a year without any penalty but only if your hosts have moderate or flexible cancelation policy and if you do it more then 7 or 1 day in advance (depends of their cancelation policy)

Hosts are heavily penalized if they cancel so don't espect them to do that easily, they will always try to avoid it.

Thuy3
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

The set up of airb&b is not realy good , cause the problem for host and guests . Im o host and the guest as well , but i found airb&B system is maniac . i have problems for being both 

I as well binging treated unfair. Booked a place in Oceanside, Ca. Need to cancel due to my home being sold very quickly five days sold. Found a home to buy move in day 7/8 my reservation 7/12. Moving is stressful enough but to move then just take a short trip sorry to stressful. Gave the host two months notice guess what only 50% refund. Under her strict policy there was no mention of anything like this. Only cancel 7 days prior 50% refund. I have reached out to management at Airbnb and get no responses. Just an email from management saying I have no cause for a full refund that's it's up to the host. Bad business practices what ever happened to good customer service. So very disappointed in this company and management is the worst. I asked to speak with someone higher up. Answer was no. If anyone has a suggestion how I can go higher up the chain of command please let me know. I will not let this rest.