Unfair long term cancellation policy for guests

Txema2
Level 1
Bilbao, Spain

Unfair long term cancellation policy for guests

I booked a long term stay about 3 months before my actual arrival date to the accommodation. Exactly two weeks before my travel date and after sending a message to the host to inquire some information, he replies with a cancellation of my long term booking and stating a ¨break up with his partner¨ as a reason for that.

Airbnb promised a cancellation automated review as well as blocking the dates I had booked to any future cancellations. However and to my absolute surprise, a few days later and after observing that no such review appeared in the hosts profile and inquiring Airbnb about this, I was informed that Airbnb considers a break up as force majeure. Not only the host did not provide a single evidence of such break up, separation, divorce or whatever but also I was not offered an alternative accommodation and left absolutely unprotected having to look for a new long term accommodation two weeks before my travel date, thus facing an enormous loss of money which nobody takes responsibility for. In addition, the host that claimed force majeure has now managed to unblock the dates and is taking bookings for the same period which was cancelled to me. This is an absolute abuse against the guests.

The long term cancellation policy for guests is really strict and absolutely unequal when compared to the policies applied to hosts which can make up to several cancellations for every six month period and can claim force majeure reasons for anything.

To my understanding the host should offer alternative accommodation or compensation for such practices. Alternatively Airbnb should simply not allow booking long term through the platform as it is a total abuse for the guests.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am very surprised about how the host cancellation was handled, @Txema2.  How do you know the host did not offer proof to Air BNB about his reason for cancellation and is taking reservations?  Usually when a host cancels under the extenuating circumstances policy proof is required.  

Also usually a traveler is offered some assistance in finding alternative housing if the host cancels.  Did you speak with an Air BNB rep or was all the communication via email.  I suggest you contact Air BNB and complain and ask for help.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728   Try calling at low call volume times like really early in the morning.  Good luck

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I think proof of extenuation circumstances has to be provided to Airbnb, not to the guest. Maybe the partner is the owner of the home and is continuing to rent out space through Airbnb. Did you try to rebook the space (or send an inquiry)?