Unhappy guests

Answered!
Siobhan103
Level 3
Dunlavin, Ireland

Unhappy guests

I had guests arrive yesterday. They had asked for an early check in which I obliged to allow. I always remind them to contact me if they have an issue or need anything but I never heard from them all day so I presumed all was OK. Then at 6.30pm they told me they were leaving as the cottage was not as they expected. They said the heating wasnt working (incorrect), that they couldn't work the shower (they clearly didn't know how to use an electric one - it's very simple and working fine) etc etc. They never contacted me FIRST to address the problems - they just decided to leave! It's clear to me the cottage wasn't fancy enough and they expected a hotel standard. It is exactly as adertised - no hidden surprises. I am a long time superhost with very happy clients. These people said they left the place as they found it - I've just found a dirty kitchen!!  What should I do? They want me to process a refund 

1 Best Answer

He told me it will be escalated to Airbnb to sort so is it ol possible they will refund him anyway? 

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

@Siobhan103   These guests aren't entitled to a refund under the Guest Refund Policy, based on their failure to seek a remedy to the (non-)issues before leaving. But if they haven't yet completed the cancellation, their booking is still active. You might want to encourage them to go ahead and push that cancellation through, perhaps with the incentive of a partial refund for any dates you're able to successfully rebook. Once that cancellation is finished, you're not obliged to have any further contact with the guests.

With or without a refund, these guests sound likely to leave an unflattering review. I wouldn't worry too much about that, considering that it would be a complete outlier among many excellent reviews (including the positive one from S*****n in November, which you bafflingly wrote a negative response to). Next time, try not to shoot yourself in the foot with unnecessary negative comments - the Host Response should be addressed to prospective guests, not to the reviewer.

Also, when guests see a negative review, they can cross-check it against the reciprocal review you left for the guest to see whose story is more credible. That makes it especially important that you write an honest and straightforward review the first time around.

Siobhan103
Level 3
Dunlavin, Ireland

Thanks Andrew. I will encourage them to cancel and then decide on a partial refund. In relation to the negative public review I left the same person was very critical in a private which was most upsetting  

@Siobhan103  I think it's a common error:  hosts mistake the private comments for public ones, and without thinking they post a public response to what would otherwise display as a perfectly positive written review.  This looks confusing to prospective guests, especially because your review of the guest is the exact opposite of what you wrote in that response. 

As a general rule, it's best not to write anything that will be publicly visible in conjunction with your business when you're feeling upset. 

Siobhan103
Level 3
Dunlavin, Ireland

Thanks but this has nothing to do with this issue which I'm trying to resolve 

@Siobhan103  Not to beat this point to death, but it actually has a lot to do with this issue you're trying to resolve. The most immediate concern is getting that booking cancelled, opening up your calendar, and settling the question of how you'll address the refund topic (if you wish to offer anything at all). But that doesn't require you to push any buttons - it's really up to the guest to complete the process. Just in case they try to get Airbnb involved in a refund demand, it helps to keep all communication in messenger to show that the guests aren't eligible for an exception to your cancellation policy.

The one thing that you actually do have to take an action on is reviewing the guest, and/or responding to the (possibly retaliatory) review they leave you. Even though the stay wasn't completed, both reviews are still valid as long as they follow the content guidelines, so this is where I really hope you proceed carefully to avoid any dents in your excellent hosting reputation.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Siobhan103 They didn't contact you to resolve these issues which sounds like some simple instructions would have fixed. If the listing was accurate they aren't entitled to a refund.

They may have found another listing that was discounted at the last minute and decided to stay there. 

If their review isn't relevant it can be removed. For example they weren't happy about ABB refund policy. 

I would implore them to stay and that these were easy remedies that only need basic instructions, and that the listing was accurate and that its important for guest and host follow Airbnb policy regarding refunds and post the link for them, otherwise it would be very difficult to stay in business, if guest can't even message the host for simple instrucitons for hot water heater.   

I would give them the two options. 1) Stay and these issues they mentioned are easily remedied with some simple instructions. 2) They would need to cancel the reservation through ABB, and that you will do your best to rent it and refund if you can book the unused nights. 

That these are the only two options at this point as host have to follow Airbnb  policy. Post links to policy. 

Would add things like you try to keep the listing and photos as accurate as possible and enjoy accommodating guest as best you can. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Siobhan103 

I would just reply to the guest and say you are so sorry that they didn't contact you when they had difficulties using the heating and shower as you would have been able to quickly talk them through on the phone the written instructions on how both amenities worked . And you are puzzled as to why they didn't do this rather than just leave the accommodation? 

i would also confirm that in line with the cancellation policy they booked under as your listing is as described they wouldn't be entitled to a refund (if this is the case ) but as a gesture of good will on your part if you are able to rebook any of the days they cancel you are happy to consider a proportional refund. 

Siobhan103
Level 3
Dunlavin, Ireland

Many thanks for all your replies. The problem has not yet been resolved in that the guest has requested a 75% refund. I have a strict refund policy and I don't believe he is entitled to inform me what he should get in this instance. He is now threatening me with a bad review. What should I do? 

@Siobhan103   Make sure all that correspondence is in Airbnb messenger. By threatening you with a bad review if you don't give him money, the guest is violating the extortion policy, which gives you grounds to have the review removed.

You're right that the guest doesn't get to dictate the refund here. At this point, I see no reason to offer any at all, unless the booking is still active and you're likely to re-book the remaining dates. Throw money at this guest, he'll still write you a nasty review anyway, so why bother?

He told me it will be escalated to Airbnb to sort so is it ol possible they will refund him anyway? 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Siobhan103 

You should do what @Anonymous advises. If the guest requests Airbnb issue the refund, tell Airbnb that the guest is trying to extort you for a refund with the threat of a negative review (I hope you have kept the correspondence with the guest on the Airbnb messaging system so that you have evidence of this).

Hopefully, you'll get a competent CS rep (it is very hit and miss) who understands the policy on extortion. In any case, go to the link that @Anonymous posted and copy/paste the relevant section when you write to Airbnb CS.

Siobhan103
Level 3
Dunlavin, Ireland

What do you think of this as a review? I know he's left me a stinker - he pretty much said he would. I don't want to stoop to his level. 

Dzmitry decided to leave the cottage only a few hours after checking-in and I was only made aware of some minor issues when he had left which was most upsetting as a host. We strive to look after all our guests and have an excellent rating to prove it. Had he shown some common courtesy to contact me during the day we could have easily addressed the issue of the heating and shower (both were working fine as it happened) to ensure he had an enjoyable stay.

@Siobhan103   I think it's fair. If I were your editor, I would delete "which was most upsetting as a host" and "have an excellent rating to prove it." Those statements don't engender empathy in your prospective guests - instead, they convey insecurity and undermine your professionalism. The fact is, you're an amazing host with almost 100 great reviews, and you don't have to prove anything just because of one stinker. One way you can deflect abusive guests in the future is to show confidence and strength in the face of those jerks who try to tear you down. Best case scenario is that nobody like this tries to book your farm stay in the future.