Unjust Photo / Video Release Requirement - Experiences

Jon272
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Unjust Photo / Video Release Requirement - Experiences

Has anyone had an issue with the "Global Options Release" that Airbnb requires you to sign before they will shoot video or photos of your experience?  In order to use video footage on an Experience page, Airbnb requires the use of their own videographer.   They will provide a videographer only after you sign a release that gives Airbnb the rights to use the footage of you and your experience for 50 years in any commercial in any medium in any part of the world.  (The text from the release is italicized below.)  I've signed dozens of photo releases over the years and none have come close to asking for this type of usage.  I am not comfortable signing this release.  And because I won't sign it, I'm not given the same opportunities to market my experience.  I find this exploitative.  Does anyone else?

"To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, I hereby grant Airbnb a exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, fully transferable,
worldwide, license to use the Released Items, including the right to sublicense for fifty (50) years or for the duration of the intellectual property rights,
if applicable. For clarity, this includes the rights for Airbnb (by itself or others) to use, reproduce, distribute, communicate and make available to the
public, display, publicly perform, modify, adapt, publish, create derivative works and otherwise exploit, either in whole or in part, with or without
attribution, the Released Items for any commercial, advertising or other business purpose, worldwide, in any medium, whether now known or
hereafter devised including without limitation any written medium, any type of broadcasting and/or any kind of audio and sound exploitation."

0 Replies 0