Unpaid Rent

Rose36
Level 2
Fayetteville, AR

Unpaid Rent

I have a guest who extended their stay and is now 15 days into an extension without payment.  Airbnb said there was an issue with their payment.  I have not been paid and they said they were looking into it but have not responded. The tenant says they paid. 

I'm not sure what to do now as I, essentially, have a tenant living rent-free with Airbnb saying they would get back to me with a resolution but none yet.

Any suggestions?

Rose

6 Replies 6
Christine2607
Level 1
Faux-la-Montagne, France

Hi, we have had an issue with unpaid rent and the guests left 2 weeks ago and unable to get any help even after trying to contact the help centre by email or phone and fed up seeing "Oops now this is unexpected".

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I certainly wouldn't be letting a guest stay in my place for 15 days without payment @Rose36 

What I would have done on day one is confirmed to the guest that as they didn't extend their booking and make payment for the extension they would need to leave in line with their original booking.

It is up to the guest to sort out with airbnb if they are claiming to have paid. Sounds more like the guest is scamming you if Airbnb are telling you their payment hasn't gone through.

Tell the guest if they are not able to resolve payment through Airbnb today, they will need to leave. How much longer are you going to wait without payment before you take action?

Shara78
Level 2
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Hi I have same problem as you I have 3 apartments we rent and Airbnb haven’t paid us for two of the rental properties; when we enquired about it they send us the app to update my ID I don’t understand why because before this I had no problems get paid in my account . When we tried to update my ID the email comes back saying my photo doesn’t match with my Airbnb account. I called Airbnb like 22 times but still haven’t got paid actually one pay goes back to 27 of April. I am so disappointed now looking into getting my money back from Airbnb then seriously taking my places off Airbnb. 

Juliaan1
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

My guest is not paying his second month starting in 3 days. I do not get help from Airbnb service. What do others recommend? Thank you. Julian

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I believe their payment doesn't go through until the start of the second month @Juliaan1  so if the second month doesn't start for three days the payment won't have come through to you as yet.

Juliaan1
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Thanks Helen, Airbnb sent me this notice 7 days before start of second month:

Hi Julian T.,
The attempt to charge your guest, Don & Cheryl, for the amount due for reservation HMYC5X42QE from December 17, 2020 - February 17, 2021 was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent Don & Cheryl an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.
If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can cancel without penalty at any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel, please send us a note.
We appreciate your understanding.
Thanks,
The Airbnb team