Unresponsive Guest - What to do?

Steve2848
Level 2
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

Unresponsive Guest - What to do?

We have a 2 x day booking beginning this Friday 16th July (1 x named guest plus 3 x unidentified housemates).  Have sent 2 x messages plus 1 x text message plus 2 x unanswered calls. Nothing.

We also have a family booked in directly afterwards for 5 x days. Bearing in mind we need to meet the guest to hand over house keys and make up 3 x beds etc.  I'm sore tempted to cancel the booking. Any thoughts please?

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Steve2848 Unlike hosts some guests do not download the app and/or look at their account regularly. Strange though that they are not answering calls but some people do not answer calls from strange numbers. Perhaps call Airbnb and ask them to contact the guest.

Steve2848
Level 2
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

I wonder if he's lost his phone. Still a pain the axx. Airbnb tells me 'messaging helps build trust for guests'. Works both ways. I'm handing over the keys to a £350,000 house to someone who who doesn't check their phone or their appointments. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence....

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Steve2848 

We've had guests who inadvertently put the wrong phone number in their profile, or change it some time after their initial sign up. 

Some guests just don't respond.  Often until the very last minute, because they suddenly realise they haven't a clue where your place is, or how to get in.

In any case, it often ends badly for either the guest or the host or both. 

You should inform Airbnb... although it won't likely result in anything useful, but having it on record may be valuable later on, if the guest accuses you of "not responding" and wants a refund. 

Good luck. 

By the way, I'm from Southend, originally... 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Steve2848  when something like this happens to me I just send a message along the lines:

Hi XX it seems I still don't have your exact time of arrival. But no problem, you can call me when you arrive at the address and I will do my best to come as soon as possible to check you in. Bear in mind it can take about an hour or two for me to arrive, depends where I will be at the time. Just a reminder, our check-in time is 2-7:00 PM and I will not be able to meet you later bc I have to go to work. Have a nice trip and see you tomorrow 🙂

They usually respond immediately 🙂

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Steve2848 If you do cancel this guest make sure you do so by 11:59 pm on the 15th. Any cancelation on the 16th will give this guest the ability to leave you a review.