Unsanitary Conditions

Katerina336
Level 2
Thessalia Sterea Ellada, Greece

Unsanitary Conditions

I am reporting Unsanitary Conditions in Steve’s house. Steve is responsible for making his residence unsanitary uninhabitable and unsafe. Dirty is one thing … unsafe is another. I managed to make it through cancer and now have gotten sick because of this house. I have pictures and videos to prove this house's bad conditions.
I have been using Airbnb for 13 years, and in several different countries and this is the first poor rating and complaint I’ve given to an Airbnb host. My review is more than honest to help future travelers make better decisions. Steve’s home was misrepresented, unsanitary filthy, damp, and full of mold. If you love the sight and the smell of mold, then this is the perfect place to be. If you want to get sick again this is the perfect place to be. We were a group of 3 people and were in London for business for 4 nights. We chose Steve’s apartment because 1) in the pictures it looked ok and only two reviews mentioned a little bit about the grub and 2) our business destination was at ExCel so it was close to getting back and forth. We arrived at 1.00 am on Friday morning and had a self-check-in. Steve had requested if we could delay as much as possible to check-in so the cleaner can take care of the apartment. That was fine with us as we were busy preparing our stand at the exhibition center. Walking into the apartment we were in deep shock. We were hit by a wave of the worst foul smell. It was truly unbearable. We had to leave everything open for over an hour! My daughter and I started deep cleaning the toilet, shower, bath, and kitchen area in order for us to use. The sheets and all the towels had that same fowl bad smell of mold. Trying to go to sleep with that smell was very difficult. But at 1 after midnight there was nothing else we could do. On Saturday morning we looked to see if any other apartment was available to book near the Excel, but unfortunately, nothing was available thus leaving us no choice other than to stay at Steve’s. On Saturday we arrived at Steve’s house in the afternoon after the exhibition had finished and we gave him a call. We informed Steve about all those issues and we requested a cleaner to come in on Sunday to clean and bring freshly washed towels, sheets, and bed covers. He agreed with our request. Only that on Sunday he texted us to say that finally, the cleaner can’t make it and that she would be able to come on Monday (our check out was Tuesday). For this, he offered us a refund for one night. I saw his text in the afternoon when the exhibition finished and he made some remarks about me not responding to him promptly. My reply to that was when I am 10 hours at an exhibition and in my stand, I am very busy and my priority is my business and my customers. My priority is NOT looking at your messages to solve problems that wouldn’t have occurred and been problems in the first case … if … you supervised and took good care of your rental. Even still, if he wanted he could have called us just like I called him the night before. So, Sunday after our 10-hour participation at the exhibition, we went off to Primark and bought new sheets and towels for three so we can at least have a decent shower, wipe ourselves with clean towels, and have a proper night of sleep. With new sheets and towels that we bought and after us cleaning his house two nights in a row, when we should have been relaxing after work, left us with a decision that there was no need for a cleaner to come in on Monday since our checkout was Tuesday. One of Steve’s replies to all this was that “ this is a 100-year-old house, what did you expect?” I told him that I’m fine with old houses, what I’m not fine with is grubby homes, full of mold. He replied that it was not mold in the bathroom and that it just needed re-gritting. Little other details such as 3 people for four nights, two rolls of toilet paper, one kitchen towel only, a sponge that has been used so many times and has shrunk to a third of its size. I can only imagine how many germs were on it. In this period with covid, supplying a clean new sponge to visitors is surely wiser. Of course, we looked in the draws hoping to find one but there was no such replacement. Another point was the left-hand-sided wall where the washing machine was. There was completely no wall insulation and the smell coming from there was also bad. A closet for putting brooms and other items was also without insulation. The smell from in there was probably the worst ever. I took photos and a video showing myself cleaning and proving to him that it is MOLD & GRUB. I had to do this because Steve said that all it was was not grub and mold instead that the walls and doors just needed repainting. He suggested giving us one night refund. I did not agree with this. To be honest I requested all the nights as a refund. The reason is that it is his fault that the house was in this condition. It is not at all my fault that we had to go through this. I happen to have a weakened immune because I have suffered from lung cancer and have undergone chemotherapy. Two-thirds of my right lung has been undergone surgery and is missing. Steve’s apartment in the end of our stay left me feeling ill, with a bad headache, breathlessness, and a tight chest. Maybe the use of chlorine and detergents, maybe the mold, maybe the combination. I had to visit my doctor as soon as I came back and he prescribed antibiotics to be on the safe side, as I can’t afford the risk of any infection of any lung. I also have stayed home and away from my business for 4 days now. I do have proof of the house condition (photos and videos) where it shows me cleaning the mold off and all the mold on the cleaning cloth. If anyone doubts that I have been through lung cancer I can send proof for that also. I hope this issue can be settled as soonest possible but progress is really slow.BACK DOOR 4.jpgBACK DOOR MOLD 1.jpgBACK DOOR MOLD 2.jpgBACK DOOR MOLD 3.jpgBATHROOM DOOR BEFORE CLEANING.jpgBATHROOM DOOR NOW CLEAN.jpgBATHROOM MOLD 1.jpgBATHROOM MOLD 2.jpgBATHROOM MOLD 3.jpgBATHROOM MOLD 4.jpgBATHROOM MOLD IS ON.jpgBATHROOM MOLD OFF..jpgBATHROOM MOLD OFF.jpgBATHROOM.jpgFRONT DOOR MOLD 1.jpgFRONT DOOR MOLD.jpgKITCHEN 2.jpgKITCHEN 3.jpgKITCHEN 4.jpgKITCHEN 4-.jpgKITCHEN 5.jpgKITCHEN.jpg

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Katerina336 

We don’t know Steve.

We don’t know where his ratty apartment is, what he is charging for it, or what his competition charges.

Is it possible that you got what you paid for?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Katerina336  I don't know why you posted this here. This is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests. The place to warn others about a bad listing is in the review you leave.

Were there no previous reviews for this place which mentioned the conditions?

And if guests arrive to find a place unacceptable, you don't just continue to stay there and complain afterwards- you need to immediately contact Airbnb customer service and explain the situation and cancel, so you will be eligible for a refund.

This host obviously shouldn't be renting this place out in that condition, but **

**Personal remarks removed

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Katerina336,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I hope you're ok now.

Have you been in touch with the Support team? If you haven't done so yet, I recommend you contact them, as they'll be able to look into this for you.

Thanks,
Liv

Katerina336
Level 2
Thessalia Sterea Ellada, Greece

Hello Liv

Thank you for your concern.

I hope to be better and back to work by Monday.

That booking was a nightmare and that's why I wrote in depth.

I have contacted support but unfortunately haven't gotten far.

Thanks again

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Sarah977 and @Brian2036,

I appreciate you trying to educate a new member about the Community, but please keep in mind that the CC is open and everyone is welcome to share their point of view. The targeting of members with personal remarks will not be allowed.

We've all been new somewhere at some point, so I'm sure you'll agree that feeling welcomed by others makes all the difference. 

Thanks for understanding,

Liv