Unsatisfactory stay

Claire164
Level 2
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom

Unsatisfactory stay

I booked on Airbnb whilst  on business to save commuting. The profile, photos of property, location and glowing reviews for host were perfect.  On arrival, the property is anything but " guest ready" or high specs as declared! The lady was at work, her mother who lives nearby was delayed at the appointed time of check in . The common areas, like lounge was in need of good tidy up and housekeeping. Launderies & underwear were left in bathrooms.  I appreciate that people have busy lives and have odd days of chaos, but this host should never have paid guests if she does not offer what was described on profile! She charged for cleaning service that does not exsit!

I choose not to give her a public negative reviews but left private comments instead.  I really feel that I have been mugged  on  in this 1 night short stay.  Other than depending on killer feedbacks to warn other travellers, what does Airbnb quality control of the poperties listed?

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What a pity - as you say other guests give glowing reviews so it sounds like an unfortunate one off. I assume you have left a review setting out your experience and how at odds it was with other guests?
Claire164
Level 2
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom

Whether it is a one off I will never know.  I did give a thumbs down and never to return to this address!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Not sure what you mean by quality control, ABB is a booking service, they do not operate the listings.

They provide a review system.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you were so disappointed why didn't you leave a more honest public review to help future guests? 

Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

Yes, it is a business, but it is also someone's home.  It's not a hotel/motel.  They could have had an off day.  

When you are accepting money for a stay, you need to provide adequate service including a clean space without underwear! If you can not provide this, the space needs to be blocked until you can.

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I agree a place should be ready upon guest arrival and the host should have a backup plan if they can't personally tend to getting the place ready. When you discovered the condition of the place upon arrival, did you try to contact the host or her representative to express your concern? That seems the best approach. As a host, I appreciate guests who let me know right away if something does not meet their expectations or meet their needs. Then I have a chance to do something to make the guest's stay better.  Also, I have an option to give a guest a refund, which would go a long way towards making amends if I were in the wrong.