Unusable Coupon

Sandeep36
Level 1
Chapel Hill, NC

Unusable Coupon

I made a reservation that the host cancelled stating "those datres were already booked and my two systems are not sinking (sic)"  The total amount on the bill was $983 which Airbnb refunded to me with an additional coupon of $98.3 . But I am unable to use the coupon for a new booking even if the total charge on that is $1,043 (more than the original booking amount) that's because apparently the coupon can only be used where the base room charges (minus fees taxes etc) exceed $872. This is what support told me but the email for the coupon only says that the total should exceed $872. I am horribly confused and frustrated, first by the very weird host cancellation then this y helpful support experience about the unusable coupon. Any idea on how to proceed? Or is it a hopeless case where I am totally without any options other than paying full rate on a new booking.

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sandeep36 

What the host means" his calender was not synchronized ('syncing'), as he uses more then 1 booking platform for same accomodation". Sometimes it technically fails when 1 platform is down (as recently happened to Airbnb).

The amount of the new booking must be at least the same as the old booking (872,-) before fees and taxes. This is what is read in Airbnb terms regarding travel credit.

Best regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sandeep36

Firstly, from the information you've provided above, this was a host cancellation, so you should have been given the option of a voucher or a full cash refund to your original payment method.

Were you, at any point in the process, offered the option of a cash refund? If not, you're within your rights to go back to Airbnb and inform them that you're not accepting their voucher and request that the full amount you paid, be returned to your original payment method immediately.

The only exception to this would be if you'd also paid for this cancelled booking with a voucher you received from a previous cancellation. Is that the case? 

Penelope