Unusual gifts

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Unusual gifts

Presents are made for the pleasure of who gives them.... Stop. How come I love so much gifts from my guests?

🤔😁

So far I have received many wonderful gifts from my the most wonderful guests. How about you? It will be boring to list all of them, but some are worth of mentioning because the question I ask myself "why".

Why the guest left the bottle of liquor, when he had no idea, if I drink alcohol or not? Was he just enjoying drinking inside an apartment and thought of sharing? Or he bought too much of liquor and the bottle was too heavy to carry to the bus? (the bottle was heavy)

Why would the guest leave a book about his religion, if he knows that I am not into religion?

Why would the guest leave 2 packs of cottage cheese after I told him that I don't eat cottage cheese?

Your thoughts and stories please 😁

12 Replies 12
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kat84😂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kat84  That made me laugh. A bottle of liquor is something many people would gift, without necessarily knowing if the recipient drinks alcohol. The religious books- of course, he wants to convert you, it's his mission. The cottage cheese- he likely just bought too much and left it behind, thinking maybe someone would eat it, even if he knew you didn't like it. Many of us have a hard time throwing away perfectly edible food, and indeed it seems like a travesty.

I've had a problem all my life with friends and relatives buying me gifts that they "just knew I'd love". I happen to be very particular about the things I like, whether it's food, clothing, dishware, whatever. I have a hard time being gracious about it, as I think if I act like I like it, they'll waste their energy and money buying me something similar again. One year I had birthday party and friends brought all these gifts, even though I asked them not to bring gifts, just honor me with their presence. I really didn't like any of the gifts, and when I'd had a bit much to drink, I announced "I'm 50 years old and no one has ever thought to buy me a nice bottle of booze for my birthday, you all go out shopping and spend money on things I don't want or need."

It was ungrateful, for sure, but it really paid off- the next year I got 3 bottles of my favorite whiskey.

My Airbnb guests have actually brought useful gifts that I appreciated- candles, handmade soaps, a bottle of wine, a bag of good coffee, chocolates. One guest insisted on taking me out for dinner.

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

That's so true, Sarah... I somehow thought that bottle of wine is more popular gift... That liquor was super strong! So, we are in the same boat. By the way, what's your favorite whiskey? 🥃😁

@Kat84 Glenlivet single malt scotch.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Excellent choice @Sarah977 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Guests have left us chocolate, flowers, hand written thank you notes & the best gift is being left a clean apartment 🙂

Clean apartment 😁

I remembered now some of my guests... One man fixed my vacuum cleaner (was si proud of himself), another one bought shower curtain with shower holder (!), another one fixed the toilet, the lady (!)...and she was with her husband (!!!), which she sent home after conference and went to the store and bought the door lock and screwdriver and fixed the lock herself... She is the school teacher, by the way... 😁

All others just complain or break things 😅

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I have been gifted wine on several occasions.  It is a standard host gift.  One guest left me 3 handbags which she designed herself.  A guest left me gift cards for a restaurant.  another left a Bible.  Whatever the items, these things are giving as a sign of appreciation.   Just enjoy!

Oh, I thought the standard gift for the host is whiskey 😁 How wonderful to receive handmade(?) bags

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I get it, @Kat84 . Funny gifts. 

My funniest came when guests checked out while I was away working. I had blocked the calendar for a few days after, so no need to race back for a turnover. It was winter, and the river rose and froze in those few days. Once home, I ventured across the ice, and opened the treehouse to find the bottle of wine they had left for me. Frozen but not burst, thank goodness. 

And the very last guests left a dog toy behind, one of those rawhide bones. I'm pretty sure I don't like rawhide 🙂

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Wonderful... I am thinking to give my guests (only good guests! 😊) handpainted postcards (welcome notes) with picture of the city and their name of course. What do you think? 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Kat84 plenty of leftover food and wine. As @Sarah977 says, its often impractical for guests to take food with them but they also don't want to throw it away, so they just leave it behind. The food can be a bit hit and miss and often ends up in the bin or dog bowl anyway, but leftover (or even better, unopened) wine never goes to waste 🙂 I've also received lovely handwritten notes, tea, chocolates, a book and even a couple of tips! One guest bought a box of dog treats for my dog. I've had one guy fix my front door lock, another change a too high light fitting and yet another help me build a shed! These are some of the lovely unexpected things about being an Airbnb host.