Unusual question

Rachel-0
Level 1
Newton, Massachusetts, United States

Unusual question

I posted this twice today but I don't think it went through. Forgive me if you are seeing this multiple times.

Here is my first question. A prospective guest (my first) who came with wonderful reviews was actually seeking a room for the 26 year old daughter of her boyfriend. I took the young person in. The young person is not registered with air B and B and the person who came with the wonderful reviews is paying. When issues arise (and they have) do I talk directly to my guest or should I talk instead, or in addition, to the paying "guest" who is my age?

WHich leads me to my second question. My favorite pot (as in large pan) was missing this morning. I use it every day and very much needed it. My guest only had permission to use the microwave and toaster oven and she told me that she would not be cooking. I made do without the pot but I was upset about it missing. I finally went into my guest's room (she was not there) and found the pot there. It was empty and I can't figure out why she would have brought it in there, but this is the issue I feel I need to address with her. It's just not OK to take things from the kitchen like that. My other question for the community, is is it OK to go into a guest's room? I have blankets and sheets and towels and all kinds of things stored in the guest closet, so I have lots of reason to go in there. I did not snoop in her stuff at all, but I looked just long enough to see my pot. How much privacy should a guest expect? Is it ever OK to look in a guest's room?

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Rachel-0,

First of all, the person booking the listing also needs to stay at the listing.  It is against Airbnb poilicies to allow third party bookings.

It is unfortunate that the guest did not ask you for the pot.  The only reason why I could think a guest might take a large pot to their room is that they were feeling sick and wanted something close by in case they were to vomit.  I would just ask the guest.  I do not believe you have the right to go into a guests room without asking them unless it is an emergency that you must be in their area.  Some people may feel differently but if I rented from you and you entered my area without asking (even though it is your house) I would either report you to Airbnb and probably give a low rating in my review and make sure to put it in my review.  Maybe I am being harsh here.

I would move the blankets, sheets and towels to a different location in the room unless they are there for the guest to use.

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Rachel-0
Level 1
Newton, Massachusetts, United States

O.K. Thank you Dave. I asked to learn and I guess I am learning. I had no idea 3rd party listings were against air b and b policy, and I will definitely take the stuff out of the room or ask first. Thanks. Rachel.

Hello Rachel,
I am a live-in host and when I have guest, from time to time I check the rooms for maintenance purposes just like they do at hotels, not every day but certainly a couple of times in a week. I don't disturb them or their things and I don't leave anything extra in the rooms that they would not need to use.
Margaret0
Level 8
Dublin, Ireland

I host in my home. I tell people I will go into their room to clean and or to change the bed or get towels and sheets. Noone has ever complained, in fact they have often thanked me for cleaning. I have hosted quite a few guests with no issue. If you dont host in your home I think it may be different. If I were renting a full apartment I wouldnt expect anyone to come in. 

Vicky0
Level 4
Norwich, United Kingdom

With regards to entering a room I think it's fine as long as it's discussed in advance. I only enter to clean the room after a week for longer stays and only if they want me to. I would just offer to give fresh linens and towels if not (although I'd need to go in the room to get them)