Unverified Guests sending inquiries- Do I pre-approve or decline the request?

Michelle185
Level 2
Malacca, Malaysia

Unverified Guests sending inquiries- Do I pre-approve or decline the request?

Hi, I have recently started hosting for about a month now and I am still new to it. I have encountered some issues and need advices.

This week itself, I have received 2 inquiries from 2 unverified guests with profile photos that I can't identify their faces. Both requested me to communicate with them through their Facebook/ WeChat/ Phone Number (although it can't be seen before booking) which I had politely rejected and insisted to communicate through Airbnb. For cases like this, how do I get them to verify their ID? Also, in this situation, do I have to pre-approve/decline the inquiry within 24 hours? Do I get penalty for declining inquiries like this? I am not sure if I should pre-approve or decline inquiries like this!

I would appreciate it if someone can clear my doubts, thank you!

4 Replies 4
Mariane1
Level 1
Fitzroy, Australia

Hi Michelle,

We recently had a very bad experience with guests and they were verified! I would never accept an unverified guest and you have done the right thing by insisting on communicating via Airbnb. I would decline the request.  When you do you will be asked why you are declining and you can provide a reason from the choices available. I am not sure if 'Unverified' exists as a reason but I think there is something about 'Not feeling right about the guest'. I would choose the most appropriate option.  You won't be penalised in any way for declining the request.

Based on our previous experience, we will be much more careful with who we accept and only take people who are verified and have positive reviews.

All the best,

Mariane and Tim

Dear Mariane & Tim,

Thanks for answering, I know what do now, it certainly don't feel right to accept unverified guests! Great to know I won't be penalised for declining their inquries!

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Michelle185 as I see you have Instant Booking. So, in order to accept only guests who have verified their ID, do the following. Go to "Host" and "Manage Listings" and then from the menu on the left, select "Booking". There you will see the section "Who can book instantly". Select " Guests who meet Airbnb’s requirements, and also have" and click on "Provided a government-issued ID". 

The guests who come from some countries cannot make a booking without verifying their ID anyway. But I think that this is not a requirement for the citizens of the US. 

Yes, in any case that you receive a request (even if you have Instant Booking), you need to reply to the message within 24 hours. Otherwise, your response rate will drop. 

You don't have any penalty when you decline. 

However, have in mind that Airbnb gets bigger every day and many new people enter the system. They register and then they immediately search for a place. That's why they don't have verified their data yet. Some of them don't know that verifications are important because they have learned to use other platforms for booking hotels and apartments and they are not so familiar with giving their data and their real picture. You can check if someone is new or not, by seeing in his profile the month and year he/she has registered. 

Anyway, of course, I don't suggest you be less careful with your potential guests. 

About the cases that the guests have asked you to contact outside Airbnb, that's good you didn't do it. To me, it is dangerous and unfair. 

Benito4
Level 2
Clovelly, Australia

I just had someone enquire from the US but they wrote the enquiry in Russian and they are unverified. I asked them if they could update their profile by verifiying their identity . Should I decline or keep the communication open in this way? Will I be penalised if I dont accept or decline within 24 hours but have replied to their enquiry?

Thanks