Upcoming guest from hell

Answered!
Anne-Marie340
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Upcoming guest from hell

As a fairly new host, I need input from someone far wiser than I. My hosting home is in a 55+ community that requires a background check for the safety of all. A guest booked and then decided that she didn't like the questions on the background check form. She has accepted a teaching job in the area, so she must have passed a background check here to get that job. But she is driving me crazy. She has called me. She has had her sister call me. They don't think that my listing is legit. After I offered to show her around and to let her keep her trailer of stuff in my driveway while I clean the house for her, she has questioned my integrity. Quite honestly, I don't want her anywhere near me or my rental. Her sister has called Airbnb. Her sister has called the mobile home park. Her sister has threatened me if she doesn't get resolution. How do I cancel her reservation without getting penalized (in the ratings) by Airbnb? I just want these people to go away and stay away. Thank you for any advice that you offer!

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Anne-Marie340 In your shoes I would call Airbnb and explain that you are uncomfortable with the guest's behavior, it is clear that the reservation is not a good fit, and you would like Airbnb to cancel it without penalty to either party.

1-415-800-5959

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Anne-Marie340 

Your listing mentions in the houserules

"Before booking a stay in this home, you are required to pass a background check with Orange Acres". But how can this be done " before booking" ?

I should have said, "Before booking a stay, know that you are required to pass a background check with Orange Acres." Instant booking is off, so that gives them time to receive the paperwork.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Anne-Marie340 In your shoes I would call Airbnb and explain that you are uncomfortable with the guest's behavior, it is clear that the reservation is not a good fit, and you would like Airbnb to cancel it without penalty to either party.

1-415-800-5959

I contacted them, but it was via email. Finally the returned my call last night and the reservation was cancelled. Thank you!

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Anne-Marie340 

You claim "upcoming guest from hell".

Why haven't you contacted Airbnb to cancel the booking or at minimum ask for assistance with this "upcoming booking"?

I, personally, (and it will cost me Superhost status July 2021),  would cancel the reservation if Airbnb does  not support you.

They finally did call me and cancel the reservation. My own personal feeling is that, if someone is difficult prior to arrival, they are going to be a nightmare when in my house. Thank you for your suggestion!