Upcoming guest not receiving my messages

Elizabeth1827
Level 2
Portland, OR

Upcoming guest not receiving my messages

I have a guest arriving in a few days. He made the reservation in January, and then when the Covid-19 situation arose I contacted all my upcoming guests to let them know about their cancellation options. He was the only guest who didn't respond to that message, and then a follow-up I sent a month later got no reply. Today I finally called him on the phone because I was nervous about how close his trip was – the good news is that he's keeping the reservation and still coming. But while we were on the phone he logged into his Airbnb account and there were no messages from me. I even sent him a test message while we were still on the phone and he didn't receive that. 

Is this a known problem with the messaging platform? I still need to send him his check-in details, and also he's considering adding a day to his trip – if he makes a change request, I'm not sure I'll receive it, or that he'll receive my confirmation. 

How do I contact Support and ask them to look into this specific situation?

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elizabeth1827  I'm not sure about whether there's a widespread messaging problem, but you might suggest to him that he use a different device or a different browser. If he's using the phone app, suggest he use a computer or vice versa. Or maybe he's not looking in the right place for messages? Is he an experienced Airbnb guest? (i.e. would he be aware of where to access his Inbox?) Also tell him to make sure his notifications are turned on, so he gets a notification when he has a message.

Are the messages showing as sent on your end, or have they disappeared?

You can try to get Airbnb help, but I know it's frustratingly slow right now. So if time is of the essence, you could ask him to text you his email address and you can end him the check-in info by email, if messaging isn't working.

As far as the extra day, if it proves impossible or too late to change the dates, if it's just an extra day, and he seems like an honest, reasonable guest, you could just have him pay you for the extra day outside the platform. I wouldn't normally suggest that, but I've done it myself once when the platform was being glitchy. Was way easier than me or the guest wasting a lot of frustrating time.