[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Last updated: March 13th, 2020

As more information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak becomes available, Airbnb continues to prioritize the safety and well-being of our community of hosts, guests and employees around the world. 

As this situation evolves, we strongly urge you to review your local government’s travel guidance and health advisories and take necessary precautions to protect yourself and your guests when hosting or traveling. 

Following governmental and health authorities guidance and recommendations, Airbnb is offering impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations the option to cancel their reservations without charges through our extenuating circumstances policy. We’ll continue to evaluate and update this policy in line with official guidance. 

Airbnb understands that you may have concerns, and we’d like to encourage impacted hosts and guests to reach out to our customer support team (https://www.airbnb.com/help/home) with questions or to get help with canceling reservations.

More details about our extenuating circumstances policy can be found here

Read the FAQs here: Answers to your hosting questions about coronavirus

306 Replies 306
Adriano78
Level 10
Seville, Spain

@Airbnb 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6mtgjvPrM&feature=youtu.be&

Airbnb is now refunding your past guests. Taking old bookings that have canceled weeks ago and giving them the extenuating circumstances loophole even though they canceled prior to Airbnb modifying the policy to include the USA. Strike Three Airbnb

Jamie633
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Hey air bnb your hosts are still waiting for you to figure out how to compensate us!!!

Kris105
Level 6
New York, NY

The airline industry is getting a 50 billion dollar bailout. And they have guaranteed income from the 100% they kept from all cancellations in vouchers.

Why are we requesting individual loans for each host and tax breaks? this won't help our cash flow problem. Deposit 50%  of all our cancellations directly in our accounts in keeping original payout dates.

Airbnb will need to front this while applying for a bailout for that sum or more. We can not wait for the bailout as you refunded in full. 

Why wait for individual loans for each host? we are a collective we are 1 company. how will we get our loans without you divulging our info? there are subpoenas requesting this which you have fought for a decade in court. read my previous posts  We love being part of the bigger stake in airbnb. please lets come together and help each other 

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

Unfortunately, I believe Airbnb has bought most of them out! It seems to be the same problem pandemic or not. Airbnb doesn't understand they do not have a company without our properties! 

Kristina389
Level 3
Cairns, Australia

I'll be amazed if there isn't a mass exodus from AirBnB after this experience. It is well and truly showing us that as hosts we mean nothing to AirBnB. Home Away are not doing this to hosts. They are giving hosts 100% refunds. I'd be happy with just my 50% refund!!! I will use all the time I am going to have in the next 2 months of no work/no income to list my 4 properties on other hosting platforms. I hope other hosts use this time to do the same. The only way AirBNB is going to change this ridiculous extenuating circumstances policy and treat its hosts fairly is if we all leave. Then they might listen to us.

We can't pay our rents because of your policies. Airbnb always care about guests but not about hosts. Hosts make airbnb work. We the hosts actually work for airbnb. 

Thank you airbnb for not helping the hosts. 

Gail19
Level 2
Falmouth, GB

I cannot BELIEVE Airbnb is treating hosts like this. Surely everyone would see the fairness of a 50/50 split or a rebook offer? I will be looking to take my properties off this site as I feel utterly let down, vulnerable, unprotected and at a complete loss at the heartless and ruthless way this company is trying to look like the hero to all the guests, yet completely throwing the hosts under the bus. AirBnB you don't HAVE a business without hosts - are you SO shortsighted? Vrbo, Homeaway, booking.com, flipkey. Lets diversify so we can feel safer about our livelihoods and not being sacrificed in the short term to make this company, who I previously LOVED and supported, look good. I'm heartbroken and beyond stressed out. Sending you other hosts my support. x

I agree!!!!  I’m so disappoint in Airbnb.  

Catherine2252
Level 8
Toulon, France

Please sign the petition 

http://chng.it/GNvSw7hCw6

Yajahira0
Level 2
Riverside, CA

I was counting on my few reservations that I had left for the month so I can pay my mortgage and bills. Guests got a full refund and I got zero. I have no other income coming in because of the lockdown. I wish Airbnb would have been a fair and at least done a 50/50 refund for hosts and guests. Without us offering our home our space  for guests to stay Airbnb would not have something to offer their clients\guests and also make money. We are important too. Now I have to decide do I pay my mortgage or bills or do I save my money that I have left for groceries in case this goes longer than a month.

Cindy509
Level 2
Savannah, GA

I’m a super host, and not feeing very SUPER right now.  It’s unbelievable how Airbnb has  issued MY GUESTS a 100% refund !  And I don’t have a say in it.  What the hell are they thinking.  It should have been 50/50.  Why does the host feel all the pain.  We probably could have paid the mortgage if it was 50/50, but not sure now.  I’m so disappointed and will probably start listing my 3 rentals with the competitors.

Jai26
Level 1
Toronto, CA

Does anyone know what steps are being taken in situations where a long term guests wants to leave early to go home to avoid flight cancellations? 

Is this just a regular cancellation? or does the policy cover this? The long term guest is planning to leave 10 days before their original end date

Sandra1485
Level 2
Portland, OR

This policy is ridiculous I understand people need to cancel their trips but I had someone cancel today at 1:00 p.m. and they were supposed to check in at 3:00 p.m. at my beach house so now I don't even have a chance to try to get someone to rebook for this weekend. There needs to be at least a 2 day notice.  Many people local drive to the beach in Oregon and they're not crowded and you can still socially distance and enjoy walking on the beach.  I am losing so much money and this is my only business I don't work and airbnb doesn't care letting people cancel last minute like this.

Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I have always listed my properties exclusively on Airbnb. When all this is over I will be planning to switch them over instead to other booking sites that have demonstrated an equivalent balance of concern and recognition for hosts, the work that they do for Airbnb, and their livelihoods during this difficult time. Airbnb has just given a complete cancellation free benefit wholly to guests, who should arguably have insured themselves anyway for their travel. A 50/50 split would have been much more fair to both sides.