[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Last updated: March 13th, 2020

As more information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak becomes available, Airbnb continues to prioritize the safety and well-being of our community of hosts, guests and employees around the world. 

As this situation evolves, we strongly urge you to review your local government’s travel guidance and health advisories and take necessary precautions to protect yourself and your guests when hosting or traveling. 

Following governmental and health authorities guidance and recommendations, Airbnb is offering impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations the option to cancel their reservations without charges through our extenuating circumstances policy. We’ll continue to evaluate and update this policy in line with official guidance. 

Airbnb understands that you may have concerns, and we’d like to encourage impacted hosts and guests to reach out to our customer support team (https://www.airbnb.com/help/home) with questions or to get help with canceling reservations.

More details about our extenuating circumstances policy can be found here

Read the FAQs here: Answers to your hosting questions about coronavirus

306 Replies 306

Sorry to hear you not getting free cancellation. Furthermore, guests also lose their Superhost status, for possibly years, depending on how many bookings you have. Less than 1% per year. Meaning you will have to have over 100 bookings (without cancellations) to get Superhost status again, even though all guests give you 5 star ratings and excellent reviews. 

Be aware!

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

@Avery36 

Here is the link to the Extenuating Circumstances Policy (incl info on Corona virus) 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2701/coronavirus-information-and-extenuating-circumstances-pol...?

Wherever you go, there you are.
Amber1
Level 7
Key West, FL

There's no specifics in any of Airbnb's extenuating circumstance policy. They say it is , but it is not. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Amber1

Great to meet you.

Is there anything specific you are looking for? 

As you can imagine, there is a lot going of variables with bookings across the world, so it isn't possible to cover all in one doc. We might have the answer here in the CC or you can reach out to our Support Team directly to discuss this further if you are concerned.

Hope to speak with you.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Steve2480
Level 2
Toronto, CA

Hi, I've been trying to find a number or an email to contact someone who is connected with Airbnb and it seems absolutely impossible. 

I am a guest who had to cancel my flight because it was with China airline and made a day stop etc in China before heading to my main destination. Having my flight cancelled I had to also cancel my reservations for the Airbnb at my destination. However, I did not receive my full refund and I have no one I can contact regarding this situation since the hosts tell me to contact Airbnb which as a result doesnt have a way for me to contact them to resolve this situation..

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Steve2480 & welcome to ABB CC from across the mikes in Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand.

If you look on your Dashboard you can find a way to contact ABB via a message system, or alternatively use ABB Twitter or there Customer Services Centre - the phone numbers for the later are mentioned here in CC - Use related keywords in the search box and they will pop up.

You sound like you would qualify for extenuating circumstances.

I hope you are well & free from Coronavirus.

All the best for resolving your matters

Central To All Home & Location

Thank you very much @Helen427 I am trying to contact ABB right now through the phone number found.

@Steve2480  Keep those Airbnb numbers and contact info saved on your phone and computer. Both hosts and guests should always have that info readily available in case you need to contact them for any reason. If you, for instance, arrived at a place you'd booked, only to find that you couldn't figure out how to work the keypad or something and the host wasn't responding to you, you might need to call Airbnb to see if they could contact the host or rehouse you.

@Sarah977 Yea I probably should. I'm new to the whole AirBnB stuff. Just a shame that this is my first experience with it all. But I've managed to contact AirBnB and a few members are trying to solve my current situation and hopefully everything works out well. The hosts have also been helpful in providing my assistance when I was looking for a contact number as well.

Maria2527
Level 4
Athens, Greece

AirBnB, thank you very much for informing us.

Martin32
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, VN

Hello. How can l not accept guests from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan when l have instant book connected, without being penalised? 

I read somewhere on this forum that it's already switched off for mainland China residents.

I don't think it's switched off for HK & Taiwan as they are not in the same situation as mainland China.  As a host I would absolutely still accept HK & Taiwanese residents. That could all change in the coming months though.

Steve2480
Level 2
Toronto, CA

So, I finally got my update to my resolution. Sadly it is not the the ideal response because I will not be getting my full refunds back from my reservations. Apparently it does not matter than your flight has stops in china, or if you will be remaining in china for half a day or a full day. If you do not have reservations in China this does not count for you. If you have booked reservations elsewhere and they cost you a good $2.5k or so expect to only get 1k back because airBnB wont assist with your full refund. Better find yourself a new plane ticket that will get you a direct flight to wherever destination you plan to go. Which will also cost additional charges in comparison to your original flight. FYI the airlines were able to provide a full refund of my entire flight because of the situation but I suppose airBnB is above all that. 

First and last time I'll be looking through airBnB's. For a real health concerning situation and not being able to get the required assistance needed. Very unsatisfied.

Karwan0
Level 8
Phuket, TH

I am really frustrating and disappointed from Airbnb.

I am a host in Thailand with a lot property's.

Everyone knows from media about the current corono virus from China.

Since 24th January I have got a lot last minute cancellations. For travelers from China Airbnb set up new cancellation policys which I can understand and respect so all Chinese guests got full refund even my cancellation policy are strict and they cancelled just 1-7 days before arrival.

Now Airbnb start ignore completely my cancellation policy and let everyone cancel who are worry about the corono virus.

There isn't any rule that everyone can cancel but the customer service always are on guest side and refund to everyone who wants cancel even they are not from China.

In Thailand we have so far zero deaths and the risk to got this virus is not less or more than any country of the world. I understand the panic but why its a host risk if someone decided in last minute not stay in the place they booked.

After 3 year hosting with Airbnb I am really consider to stop to work with Airbnb and work with other agencies.

I am in Australia and have had the same.  Airbnb has overridden my cancellation policy and refunded in full a guest arriving from Singapore.  It does not make sense.