Use of Airbnb for Sexual Trafficing

Joan183
Level 2
Oshawa, Canada

Use of Airbnb for Sexual Trafficing

In the news  recently the  Toronto police reported that two young men were charged with trafficing a woman and shooting her and they were booking  rooms throughout the area for the use of  sexual favours to their clients.   A couple of weeks before this story  we   had two chaps  show up and they were not the individual booking the room.  They looked surprised upon arrival for a two week stay, they went to dinner and never returned that night.   I reported their behaviour to Airbnb that they were sketchy    We need to acknowledge that  apartments and homes that are being used for only guests, without any onsite oversight.   We need to be aware of the risk to women and ourselves

G

15 Replies 15
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Joan183

They often look for properties with self-check in and entry phone. I had to remove the self check-in amenity and ommit the entry phone in the description. I would be surprised if they booked a room in a private home. 

Following requests from false profiles, I added to my house rules that profile must match their ID. 

We had two incidents of false ids  and they were both questionable folks

g

Joan183
Level 2
Oshawa, Canada

I think the new  members need to provide accurate pictures and profiles   This is not the first time we had people show up as a substitute .  We need to be concerned about  false identities.    These individuals  seem to have no reviews since they are recent applicants

G

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Per the news conference, the police are asking that you report such behaviour to them as well, @Joan183. Did you? In my own experience with a very sketchy guest, I contacted both Airbnb and the police. It was the police who did something, of course. Airbnb just needed to have a record in case the guest tried to book someplace else with the same ID but yet another alias. No idea whether the company followed that up, but hope so.

Thanks for posting this. It is good to be aware. Also, off topic, but Oshawa is lovely, isn't it? Love it there.

Hi

Thanks Lawrence.  We seem to have alot of folks attending sporting events and its ideal since we are located very close to a six rink ice skating facility.   These folks are no problem and they love our place since we leave them alone or if they need some advice we are available. 

As to the police thing I think this is a good idea.  I just removed our  video camera door bell due to the monthly service fee but I am going to install front and side door cameras for recording

G

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Joan183

You can change your settings to require government ID and positive reviews. Avoid last minute bookings - allow yourself time to screen and communicate and to contact airbnb to cancel in case you are uncomfortable with guests. 

My impression is that  the ID  and Credit card is something Airbnb gathers.    I really hate the last minute -same day panic requests

Some people are sketchy too when they contact you to come and pay cash as well.

G

Joan183
Level 2
Oshawa, Canada
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would expect such Guests to concentrate on AirBnB Plus or Work listings that offer self check in.

David

Hi 
I agree David  that the self check is ripe for this type of abuse.

It was really odd when we greeted the two guests and they were not pleased to see us in the building, body language says alot 🙂

I have a lock code on my door  and i am assigning their code on arrival  and removing it upon their departure   It's their last four digits on their phone so they don't forget

g

@Marit-Anne0

I have a somewhat warped sense of humour, could not help smiling, thinking that 'business ready' could shall we say be read in several different ways.

David

LOL @David126  I even had one gentleman ringing my doorbell one late evening - he looked like being business ready indeed - at least when looking through the peephole.  Poor man, wrong door, there was no business on offer.

@Marit-Anne0

Perhaps he was looking for an AirBnB Experience?

David
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Indeed they do @David126 - I had to remove the "business ready" for that very reason.