Use of Airbnb for Sexual Trafficing

Joan183
Level 2
Oshawa, Canada

Use of Airbnb for Sexual Trafficing

In the news  recently the  Toronto police reported that two young men were charged with trafficing a woman and shooting her and they were booking  rooms throughout the area for the use of  sexual favours to their clients.   A couple of weeks before this story  we   had two chaps  show up and they were not the individual booking the room.  They looked surprised upon arrival for a two week stay, they went to dinner and never returned that night.   I reported their behaviour to Airbnb that they were sketchy    We need to acknowledge that  apartments and homes that are being used for only guests, without any onsite oversight.   We need to be aware of the risk to women and ourselves

G

15 Replies 15
Jaci0
Level 4
Toronto, CA

There are many ways that these booking can occur. We had a request for our minimum booking which is 3 days and a picture of a young Chinese woman who requested a booking to 2 people. They arrived  and my husband settled them. He said neither of the young women looked like the picture. They stayed in the apartment for 3 days and never went anywhere. Then a Chinese man in a very expensive Hummer came to pick them up. My husband immeditely called me to see them getting loaded in to the back seat of the vehicle and they clearly did not know the people picking them up. 

Suprise... they did not rate their stay.

Now I have another booking through AirBnb in Sept. I tried not to accept it by asking questions and stalling but it is booked. The picture is an Asian girl, dark sunglasses,  booking for 2 , first time on Airbnb! 

So I'm asking for passport ID when they arrive. Even if it matches then I will take pictures of lic plate and vehicle. 

So AirBnb should be less concerned with pushing us to take evey request and paying attention to our concerns.

What a perfect way to have young women enter Canada and go to an Airbnb. So the trail ends at the Airbnb.