Use of property for filming UK

James-Martin0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Use of property for filming UK

Hi everyone 

I have a 3 bed semi in Yorkshire that a film crew are wanting hire for a couple of days. I'm told it's to conduct an interview and will only be used for 2 hours each day and low-key. They've given all the company details etc and they're above board, question is, what's the regular procedure? Do they get it on a normal rate? Anyone had this experience? 

Thank you in advance

9 Replies 9

@James-Martin0  Funny, this just came up a few days ago: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/use-of-property-for-filming/m-p/1575649

Interesting coincidence that Airbnb homes in small towns in England are suddenly in so much demand for filming "interviews" (that's probably a euphemism). But no, this is not an appropriate use of an accommodation rental. There are specialized agencies that handle locations for film shoots - these have a completely different kind of insurance, on-site supervision, and are usually paid by the hour rather than by the night. 

You're being hoodwinked. I would decline.

Thanks. I declined but they have asked again to reconsider. 

Much appreciated 

To be fair to them, they did state in their opening message who they are and exactly what the filming was for and all the details to check them out.  I just assumed they were being cheap skates as the daily/nightly charge is a bargain if its for a commercial purpose. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you want to consider this booking Airbnb is not the right platform @James-Martin0 

1. They need to pay full commercial rates

2. they need to give you a copy of their liability insurance 

3. you need a contract detailing usage, crew numbers, whether furniture will be moved? Toilets ? Catering? Parking? 
4. operating hours 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@James-Martin0 

I have rented the house as a photo/film location both via an agency and directly. The location agencies normally expect the client to have the place to themselves, whereas with direct bookings, I always make sure I am here to keep an eye on things without interfering or getting in the way. I would be very nervous taking any kind of direct booking for this if I couldn't do that. 

I always want to know:

- Start and finish times (I do not rent to photo/film crews on a per night basis)

- Maximum number of people (this is SUPER important)

- Which areas of the property they will be using, including for hair/make up, costume/stying, storage of equipment, catering (they will need to eat and likely be making tea/coffee constantly)

- Parking requirements

- Assurance that they'll clean up after themselves and dispose of their rubbish (expect to do a fair bit of cleaning up regardless)

- Insurance details: they need to have cover for any damages, not just public liability

- Usage: where and how will the images/footage be used?

- Budget, although they will normally ask me what I will charge

I base costs on the above and no, they absolutely do not get the place for the Airbnb rate as it's a completely different thing. Filming is disruptive and usually involves a lot of electricity for lighting etc. Anyone who thinks that they can book at the airbnb nightly rate is not a professional and will be turned away. I use the location agency rates as a guideline and then charge about half of that, so they are already getting a bargain.

Personally, I prefer photo shoots which are less disruptive than filming. Also, they must be professionals. I once allowed film students to use the house and regretted it deeply. Never again! On the other hand, I have had professional photographers shoot here and it was no hassle at all.

Your enquiry might be legit, but it sounds dodgy to me. Why would they need to book the house for two days if they are only using it for two hours a day? 

James-Martin0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you. This is much appreciated. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@James-Martin0 Perhaps go back to them with @Huma0 's list and ask what they consider a fair rate for this use of the property would be. You could also ask if they would be willing for you to be there during the filming - Might cut out a lot of naughtiness!

James-Martin0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 to be honest, I had a look at what they film and didn't think much to it. They do most of their work on handheld camera but it was the whole genre that puts me off. As appealing as it sounds having a film crew, I think it has to be the right kind. 

James-Martin0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you all for the replies. Really helpful and most appreciated. I've declined the booking again... just hope it doesn't reflect in stats numbers, if it does then this is very unfair.