Using the same phone number for two properties

Rich90
Level 2
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, Thailand

Using the same phone number for two properties

Hi everyone,

I'm Rich from Bath,UK and have been co-hosting for one year. My co-host who used to deal with marketing and calls has closed his business and I am trying to manage these aspects myself.

I have two listings (a house and a flat behind) that used to have my co-hosts phone number. I successfully changed the phone number to my own mobile number on one listing, but it wouldn't let me use the same phone number for the other listing "Phone number already in use."

I'm sure there must be a way to use one phone number for more than one listing....I asked the help center and they suggested I get two phones!

Any ideas or advice gladly received.

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rich90  I only see one listing under your profile. Is the other still under your co-host's profile? Or do you have more than one profile? That is the problem, I would guess. If you can put the other listing under your own profile, you would be able to use the same phone number for both.

Best never to let a co-host list your property under their own profile- listings cannot be transferred, so if you are moving a listing, you need to start from scratch with that listing- the ratings and reviews stay with the profile they are attached to, not the property itself.

Rich90
Level 2

Hi Sarah, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. 

I thought you needed a profile for each listing so I set up my profile for each one. My cohost was dealing with all the calls so he had his phone number on both profiles. Now I don't have a cohost, and I am superhost with great write ups for each propery, I want to use my number for both listings. I know agents and cohosts can have their one phone number on several. properties.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rich90 Then I think you'll have to ask Airbnb customer service how or if you can merge both listings onto one profile, since both of the profiles are yours, it seems. Be sure to let them know that when you first listed, you were under the mistaken impression that a separate profile had to be created for each listing.

As far as property managers and co-hosts being able to have the same phone number on multiple listings, I couldn't say what the policy is for that. Normally when I look at listings that are co-hosted or property-managed, all the listings that person manages are under their own profile, so in that case they would be able to use the same number, just as you would be able to do if both your listings were under one.

Rich90
Level 2

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. I now understand where I went wrong. I wrote my profile and listing for the house, and six months later when I'd refubished the flat at that back, I wrote a profile and listing for that too. Then when my father became ill, a cohost started looking after the calls. As both my profiles are almost identical, I hope they will let me merge.

Thanks once again for explaining to me. I feels such a dummy!

I hope you, your family and friends stay safe.

@Rich90 @Sarah977  The fact that you've got two profiles is the reason the number can't be used on both.  I have three properties under one profile and the same number for all three.  I imagine it's a safeguard in place to reduce scamming of some kind from hosts.

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply. On reflection I think you must be right. They would need to be careful to reduce scamming.  I focused too much on refurbishing and didn't think through the online set up.  I think I'll have to close one listing and put them both together.

A year ago, I thought achieving superhost status and getting great reviews was just to generate income. The real benefit of the reviews has been that new guests know what to expect and have a smoother stay, I have to answer fewer questions, and  I know what to improve.

I really appreciate your comments. Much easier asking the community!

@Rich90 

The help article indicates you can't merge profiles

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1431/i-have-two-accounts-can-i-merge-them

Perhaps a second sim card in your phone or send out a set message on receipt of a booking including the corrected telephone number.

Hi Elena,

Thank you too for your helpful advice.

The help article is very clear - accounts can't be merged. I wish I had taken the time to read it before.

I would consider a second sim or sending out a corrected number but this might lead to confusion and cause problems in the future.

At least this is great time to deactivate one account whilst there are only a few bookings!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Rich90  from another West Country host here in Bristol

Personally I would talk to Airbnb @Rich90 . It is against Airbnb's T&Cs to have more than one profile (to stop scammers and those trying to circumvent local STR legislation). You could risk them banning you from the platform if they see you have multiple profiles.

I am wondering in the circumstances whether they night merge the profiles for you. The only other option is to delete the profile with the flat and add it as a new listing to your original profile. (you would, of course, lose the reviews built up so far).

In that way it will be easier  for you to manage the listings and potential guests who may want to book both the house and flat for larger bookings can see you can accommodate them.