VAT invoices from airbnb collectively

Maria1653
Level 2
Limassol, Cyprus

VAT invoices from airbnb collectively

Hello! I am a host and I have to submit documents for VAT payment in Cyprus. I haven't added my VAT number in airbnb. Is it possible to issue invoices for the past 4 months now? And is it possible to have the amounts collectively per month or per trimester (October-December)?

7 Replies 7

Hi Maria, 

I am struggling with the same problem.

It seem ridiculus to print invoices one by one and then sending them to the accountant.

Airbnb should notice and tackle this issue.

Andy

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Andy66,

Airbnb (host service fee) invoices - once issued - will not be automatically adapted, once you have registered your VAT number. These host service fee invoices are automatically generated, when a booking is made (or another invoice is issued, when the booking is changed – with financial impact).

Furthermore, invoices are issued per booking. So, Airbnb will not generate monthly or quarterly invoices.

You can download, your transaction history as a CSV file though. But I do not know, whether this will be sufficient for you.

So you will have to combine these invoices by invoice date.

I’m a host in Portugal as well. And our accountant/legal advisor/fiscal representative pointed the Portuguese RFI-21 requirement to us, late last year.

Which meant we had to digest the VAT on these invoices.

Since then we have registered our Portuguese VAT Number (NIF), and all is in place now.

We have to report these figures, once a year. In order to avoid double taxation.

When you ask me: A load of crap, and just another way for a money-grab by the authorities.

Ps.

There is no need to print these invoices.

I download them, and combine them in a Zip file attached to an e-Mail, to our accountant/legal advisor/fiscal representative.

Hi Cor,

Thank you for such a detail recommendation.

I agree with you.

This weekend a new feature was working on my airbnb platform, it is called "Team". For me not to rework downloading, zipping and then sending by email...I just let the accountant in with limited access only to the "Finances" option. I hope this can also help you not to waste time.

About the government ripping us host and guests, I just found a really big issue which I already warn the Municipality of Lisbon and Airbnb, to find a solution: The regulation on AL (alojamiento local) states that it will only be consedered the 2€/day/guest tax until 7 nights for stays until 28 nights. Longer than that is is considered a normal rent contract which pays a Imposto de Selo (tax seal). So Since this agreement was created all my guests have been charged even if they book longer than 28 nights... In my case, it is a huge amount of money that it is illegally on the hands of the municipality.

What a shame.

I will keep the community posted on this topic.

Thanks again!

Andy

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Andy66,

Yes, I’ve heard about the recent introduction of the “Team”-Tab.

Apparently it is rolled out gradually, as I haven’t seen it yet myself.

You having 31 properties, I can imagine it is a lot of work, to download all these documents on a regular basis.

So giving restricted access to certain people, you work with. Sounds like very useful!

I don’t know the exact rules in Lisbon (or Porto). But apparently, the authorities were going to introduce a similar tourist tax model in the Algarve too – as of 2019.

All municipalities of the Algarve seemed to have agreed upon the collection of tourist tax in the same way. But now, when it comes down to determining the exact way to collect it. There seem to be differences again between certain Municipalities.

Faro wants € 2/night without limitation, Albufeira wants € 1/night with a limit of 4 nights, Silves does not want any tourist tax at all (the original idea was € 1,50/night with a limit of 7 nights and limited to persons aged at 12 or older and only between March - October).

And I suppose it all comes down, on how the calculation is implemented in the Airbnb Software.

For sure the authorities won’t complain about getting too much tourist tax from Airbnb.

So I ended up raising my prices already, to cater for this additional taxation, because Airbnb won’t collect this additional tax yet – in the Algarve.

The new law does not seem to have been put in place too.

And I did also read the celebration stories on Nalle already, where it was mentioned that the authorities already got tenths of millions from Airbnb on Tourist Tax (In Lisbon and Porto)!

Kasia41
Level 2
Skawina, Poland

Is it possible to download all invoices for month period as one group(invoices package) download? Always after end of month I spend a lot of time to download invoices one by one.... 

I have read the explanations above but I do not understand what the difference is when after the end of the month I need to collect all invoices received in the completed month individually if it would be possible to download as a whole collection of invoices from the closed month.

I need to download the invoices for 2018. Please don't tell me I have to download them one by one.....

Joana242
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

struggling with the same issue. there has to be a more easy way of doing this.... i will write to airbnb regarding this.