VRBO vs Airbnb - what should a host know when switching?

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

VRBO vs Airbnb - what should a host know when switching?

After almost 2 years of hosting via Airbnb (and for the most part being happy with that),  I recently had a very disappointing experience with their Resolution Centre. I completely disagree with their handling of a claim regarding damages, and am deeply unhappy with how they treated me. 

As a result, I have decided to give another platform a try, and have decided on VRBO, as I've heard good things about them. I can see that they are not as big in Sweden as Airbnb are  (based on the number of properties they have in Stockholm) - but I know that they are much bigger in some other markets. And I'm thinking that since I typically have a lot of visitors from markets where VRBO are big, many of my potential guests will probably search both via VRBO and Airbnb. And since VRBO have much fewer listings in Stockholm, this should benefit me, give my listing more visibility. (Which is not why I'm trying VRBO, but would be a nice side-effect.)

Is there anything that I need to be aware of, differences in how VRBO works vs Airbnb, that I should be aware of? Any typical errors that hosts make when first listing on VRBO? Any communities/forums like this, where hosts can go to search for information and get support?

I don't think I'll want to be on 2 platforms for very long, feels like that would be too stressful. But I will not leave Airbnb until I've given VRBO a try, and see if I like it. What do I need to think about if I will (for a short while) be on 2 platforms? 

23 Replies 23

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I don't think 11 properties is a minimum, but the pricing structure is different for "professional" managers. I have three active listings (and one inactive one).

@Lisa723 it is for now 

AA8C6543-D9FC-400F-A776-241CCD2F143A.png

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lisa723,

Thanks for sharing this info.  I found it very helpful.  Do you charge a different rate on Vrbo vs. any other channel since your default security deposit option is the insurance, and guests have this additional cost?

@Debra300 not for that reason, no. Wheelhouse sets our prices on all channels. The prices Wheelhouse sets on MyVR/Vrbo are significantly higher than those it sets on Airbnb (but the prices guests pay end up not being that much higher due to Airbnb's high guest service fees).

Guests who don't want to buy the insurance don't have to-- they have the option to put down a security deposit instead, but hardly anyone does. I think the price is so small relative to several nights at a vacation rental home that it doesn't really register.

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

I am live on VRBO! 😄 Will update in this thread when I have some experience to share. 

Michael504
Level 10
Heidelberg, Germany

@Trude0 

As you know from your other post, I have been in a very similar situation to yours. And as we both expected, my request was also turned down and I received the same placating message templates from customer support.

This past week I have been thinking a lot and discussing the situation with friends and fellow hosts. I have spent quite some time researching other platforms and setting up my listings with these other platforms. I had already been on booking.com, VRBO and some German platforms and now have also listed my apartment on additional regional and national platforms. The one still missing is TripAdvisor. So far, most of my bookings have come from Airbnb but I hope that in the future I will receive more from other booking sites. I will also give out visiting cards to our university hospitals since I have had quite a few bookings from patients undergoing treatment.

What has saddened me most with this recent incident is that I did everything according to Airbnb protocol: I had my very clear house rules in place, the guest sent me my secret code hidden in my house rules before booking but then ignored most of my house rules arriving late at night without contacting me, causing damages from mould and even calling the police at the end of his stay. I had contacted customer service 5 days into his stay and received a bot message that  I would be called back. Nothing happened. When I found out a week later that the guest had caused damage I bought him humidity sensors. I also repeatedly sent him  messages over airbnb  which he did not answer and so I had to contact him over WhatsApp and by sending SMS. I asked him to keep all communication on airbnb, only to receive the answer that he does not use the Airbnb messenger and instead prefers phone calls. One week later I contacted customer service again, this time by phone. I told them what had happened. They promised to cancel his booking but then transferred the case to another department (a very frequent trick used by customer support). Suddenly I had to send an alteration request to shorten the booking which was - as I expected - denied by the guest. So, I had to endure this guest the entire three weeks and still had to send him reminders when humidity was too high.

All of which has been documented on the airbnb messenger. When I filed a claim on the deposit it was rejected by the guest. So I escalated the case to Airbnb customer service. This is what they sent me:

----

I know that there is a cost of doing business and I could and maybe should just suck it up. But any professional business takes precautionary measures and one of these measures in the rental business is called a deposit. But Airbnb won’t let us standard hosts take a real deposit. Hotels listing on airbnb, however are allowed to do that:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/199/what-should-i-do-if-someone-asks-me-to-pay-outside-of-the-ai...

So, they are discriminating against us smaller hosts. Now, wait a minute: Doesn‘t Airbnb pride itself in having anti-discrimination policies in place? Oh right, I forgot, these only apply to some hosts.

Sorry for this long post 🙂

**[Conversation with CS removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Trude0 

I just completed my listing on VRBO. The process has been greatly improved over the past six months. When I tried before it was nearly impossible.

I don’t see anything there about a security deposit.

One really bad thing is that I cannot find a way to limit maximum stay. Maybe it’s there, but if so, it’s hidden well.

They’re really pushing IB but if I can’t limit length of stay there’s no way I’m going to allow it.

I also can’t find a way to charge extra for additional guests.

On the positive side, you can charge a pet fee and limit the number and sizes of pets.

I don’t see that it’s going to be any more complicated to be listed on multiple platforms because it’s easy to synchronize calendars.

And it appears that they are eager for your business:  if you want they will have an agent help you transfer your data from other platforms.

Incidentally, the main reason I am doing this is because of the continuing incidents regarding peremptory account cancellation of highly rated hosts without explanation.

The odds of it happening may be low, but I believe in being prepared.

@Brian2036 I just wish someone with access to Airbnb management would point out to them that their 'suspend first investigate afterwards (maybe in a week or so) policy' is losing them business. @Till-and-Jutta0 is there any chance of this message getting through?

@Mike-And-Jane0

There should be a team dedicated to investigating issues that can lead to host suspension or delisting.

They ought to investigate first without threatening or suspending the host and they ought to do it within hours, not days.

Furthermore they owe us the courtesy of a reason if they do take action against a host.

I know why they don’t and it’s BS. The terms of agreement clearly state that they can terminate for any reason, including, “We decided that we just don’t like you.”

Hosts have the same rights and need to exercise them.

I suspect that massive defection to other platforms is the only thing likely to result in reforms.