Vacation Property Manager doesn't provide booking information. Am I entitled to it?

Answered!
Tina6782
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Vacation Property Manager doesn't provide booking information. Am I entitled to it?

Hello,

We have a vacation rental property manager that has listed our property on Airbnb but does not provide any booking information to us.  Is it reasonable to request it?  We'd like to know basic details like expected rent, dates, name of guest, size of party, when someone is booking our home.  

We also stay at the property so we want to know when someone is coming/going (we have to reserve our place for our own stays).  Also strange not have have guest information when we are the owners of the property.

We do get a monthly accounting, but that is after the fact and gives us no insight into who is staying at our property and our revenue.

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Tina6782 I can't see any listing on your profile. I do hope you haven't allowed the property manager to set your listing up under their profile.

Your listing should be set up under your profile with your property manager as the co-host so you have full access to information about your bookings, who is coming, payments come in etc.

Sadly some unscrupulous property managers set listings up under their own profile which is not good for you as the host, as it means if you no longer want to use said property manager, you will lose all the ratings and reviews and will have to start from scratch with your own listing.

I would look at the contract you have with your property manager and remind yourself of what information they agreed to provide you with when you signed the contract with them.

Personally, I would be asking for the listing to be set up under your profile.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Tina6782 This depends on your contract with the property manager.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Tina6782 I can't see any listing on your profile. I do hope you haven't allowed the property manager to set your listing up under their profile.

Your listing should be set up under your profile with your property manager as the co-host so you have full access to information about your bookings, who is coming, payments come in etc.

Sadly some unscrupulous property managers set listings up under their own profile which is not good for you as the host, as it means if you no longer want to use said property manager, you will lose all the ratings and reviews and will have to start from scratch with your own listing.

I would look at the contract you have with your property manager and remind yourself of what information they agreed to provide you with when you signed the contract with them.

Personally, I would be asking for the listing to be set up under your profile.

Tina6782
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Thank you for the very helpful information @Helen3 .  We have just separated from Turnkey earlier this year and lost all the reviews from their hosting the listing.  I wasn't aware that owners could co-host with property managers.  Currently we have zero insight into our bookings (other than calendar dates that are marked "booked" with no other information).  Have reached out to the property manager to get this information but the alternative is if we get co-host setup and we can see all of these details.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you misunderstand @Tina6782 .  You should set the listing up on your profile and add the property manager as the co-host, not the other way around.

It's a shame that you used a previous management company where when you moved provider, you lost your reviews and ratings, yet have joined another property management company and allowed them to have the same set up, knowing if you weren't happy with their service exactly the same thing would happen if you have to move again.

Tell the property manager you want the listing under your profile and if they are not willing to do this, find someone else to act as your co-host.  I do hope you have not locked yourself into using them for a long period when you signed your contract with them

When you set yourself up with an Airbnb business it's really worth familiarising yourself with the basics of how it works, so you don't get taken advantage of by unscrupulous property managers and co-hosts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tina6782  Here's a 4 page thread with warnings about using Turnkey you might find interesting.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Warning-against-use-of-Turnkey-Vacation-Rentals-to-manag...