Vancouver, WA restrictions ?

Vancouver, WA restrictions ?

I received a letter from the city claiming that short term rentals in the Vancouver city limits is illegal except under narrow exceptions. Vancouver Municipal Code 20.830 doesn't appear to have anything conclusive prohibiting short-term rentals. I have reached out to other superhosts in the area and no one else has gotten this notice, so maybe it's sent when complaints are filed.  I reached out to Airbnb and while they were sympathetic, they said they don't have legal support as such.  I'm thinking the politicians are trying to strong arm with no legal basis. Have you heard anything about this? And do you know if airbnb owners are banding together to fight this?

Here's the letter:

VancNoAbnb.jpg

18 Replies 18
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you think there is no legal basis for local government to introduce STR restrictions? @Stanley156 

Presumably as a host you keep yourself up to date with STR legislation in your area, so would have known according to this letter  received that you need a license to operate an STR business at your location for whole listings.

If you have chosen to operate without one this sounds like why you have been contacted.

Would it not be simpler to put your listing on hold and then apply for an appropriate license for your business? ?

Okay, after a whole day of drama, cancelling guests, etc...

The person that knows the specifics about the letter finally called back and said the letter was sent "IN ERROR" and will be sending a letter out soon.  OMG...at least put something online that short term rentals are allowed and let the owners know immediately.  Well, there it is! 

Christina

When we looked into this 5 years ago, a person from the city government told us it wasn't an issue. We're operated on that ever since, paying excise taxes, lodging taxes, etc. We'd never heard from the city until now- none of us have, so this cease and desist letter was a complete blindside.

FALSE ALARM!!!!!  City of Vancouver rescinded the letter.  Sorry to cause such a stir, but it's good news for all of us.  

VancNoAbnb-recission.jpg

Any update on this?  When you go to the link in the letter it basically still says Airbnb is illegal unless it is a room in the house you live in.  

city Vancouver send me letters again . Have to do short term rental business license. I am so confused 😐. Do you have any ideals. 

City of Vancouver invites you to voice your opinion about short term rentals.  Here's the link:

https://www.beheardvancouver.org/vacationrentalsurvey

Son8618
Level 1
Vancouver, WA

Thank you for providing information. We should get together to lobby for a reasonable permitting process. 

I agree Son8618, I am concerned that looking at the survey for feedback that it is leaning more towards a "neighbor" perspective of having Airbnb's in the city and not allowing the voice of the host's perspective be heard.

I totally agree. Really stressful do Airbnb now . We should be had meet together. 

Steve3213
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Hello fellow hosts. I have reached out to a few STR advocacy groups in search of support approaching the City of Vancouver and helping to shape reasonable STR regulations. I have talked with Rent Responsibly (rentresponsibly.org), Portland's Host2Host (host2host.org) and reviewed information on the Association for Short-Term Rental Homeowners (astrho.org). 

It was suggested that I/we form a Facebook group to share ideas and form our own local advocacy group, which I have done. I encourage interested parties to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/530113671764440/

I do not know if link sharing is permissible on this forum. If not, please reach out to me directly, Steve3213 (in this community) or scan the following QR code:275131075_637811144186468_2074342362457575650_n.jpg

Rocky-And-Jane0
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Not completely a false alarm- there seems to be a pull in the city offices between the person who sent out the letter; based on our interaction with him he seems really fixated on maintaining that they're illegal, plain and simple, and another person from the city telling us to hold off taking any action until the community meetings have been held. Despite the local press reporting the sudden action was due to an increase in complaints about poorly managed party houses I can't help wondering if it isn't more related to the ongoing development along the riverfront, since 2 new Marriot hotel projects are in the works.

Maya503
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

This is very interesting. I spoke with the country before listing my BnB and received the same information that is given in your letter, @Stanley156 : must register as a 1 or 2 room bed and breakfast and must live there. The registration apparently includes a survey of the grounds to ascertain sufficient parking and such other considerations and costs between $600 and $1600 (in 2020.) I would support an effort to influence Vancouver to legalize short term rentals. 

That's a steep fee. Glad I have a Ridgefield zip code.