Vemont Occupancy Tax

George91
Level 1
Glen Ridge, NJ

Vemont Occupancy Tax

Anybody know how Airbnb will remit Vermont Occupancy Taxes to the state and what kind of reconcillation hosts will get? We rent through multiple platforms and have to file the quarterly MRT form. How do we account for the taxes Airbnb will remit on our behalf on the Vermont MRT form when we have a quarter where we received income from more than one rental platform?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Susan-And-Brett0
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

Also, Air BNB collects only 9% Vermont so if you have a rental home in a resort area with extra tax like we do in Killington, you have to add an extra 1% every time which is a hassle.  

I had a phone conversation with a pretty helpful airbnb rep yesterday about this subject.   I host in Burlington where they collect a 2% tax that has to be filed MONTHLY by CHECK!     I wondered why airbnb was collecting and paying the State tax but not the City tax.   He explained that airbnb has to arrange with each city or town individually and has not managed to work out a payment arrangement with Burlington.   This is no doubt due to the non-electronic system at the City treasurers office.   

Hi there, I realize this is a very old thread but I had a question that is relevant to this discussion. I am new to Airbnb and want to make sure I am doing the tax thing correctly. It seems that now Airbnb will remit taxes for rentals in Vermont (9%) and as well as in Burlington (2%).

Do you know if I need to register for a business license/number? Or will everything happen automatically so long as all my bookings happen through Airbnb?

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn80
Level 1
Stowe, VT

Hi.  I host in Stowe.  Airbnb is collecting and remitting the 9% tax, while I collect the Stowe 1% added tax.

Theresa297
Level 1
Vergennes, VT

Hello 

We are thinking about renting our home via Airbnb. Does anyone know if you have to apply for a permit w/ your individual town to do this? I live in Vergennes and it seems some folks have done this and other have not? Wondering if it is truly required? Thank you.