Verification code sent

Jack154
Level 3
Houston, TX

Verification code sent

I keep getting text messages that say, “Your Airbnb verification code is ####. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for the code.” 
Why? I’m not trying to log in or anything. I wish Airbnb didn’t allow the use of phone numbers as a way to log into the app (in which case you would get this message). Is someone trying to hack me? -Jack

99 Replies 99
Simone473
Level 4
Long Beach, CA

I'm also getting regular messages from sender (78156). 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

@Jack154@Simone473@Isabel54@Britney27@Cecilia46@Mark3566@Paul1255@Julieanne0@Mary4286@Gary-And-Pamela0@Edward467,  @Deva0@Quana7@Nicole2302@Elisabeth789@Kerri28@Philippa25@Lisa5873@Tom229@Justin1189@Jennifer1897@Tina14@Kristin1082@Rosana173@Jessica2159@Linda-And-Richard0@Christina284@Kenton-And-Melissa0@Jonathan6@Cecilia46@Rich24@Denise1241@AllanandUte0@Josie16@Lyn5636@Nicky168@Roy644@MsEmily0@Isabel54@Anne971, @Emma158,

Lovely to meet you, my name is Lizzie and I am a Community Manager here in the Community Center.

A big thank you to all of you for highlighting this issue with receiving verification codes, I am sorry you have been receiving these. I've been following up on this over the past few weeks. I'm pleased to say this has been now been resolved, so hopefully you haven't received any unexpected verification codes recently.

Please do keep me updated and do let me know if you are still experiencing this. 

Thank you again for all your help. 

Lizzie

(Special thanks to Jack for starting this discussion and FYI - @Sarah977  @Ann72)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Rosana173
Level 2
Beverley, United Kingdom

Hi 🙋🏻‍♀️ Lizzie, thank you very much for your kindness and help on this. I haven’t received any notification on this anymore. Huge thanks! 

@Lizzie This has to be “crazy-making” at it’s finest. I don’t think any of us who “highlighted” the issue wanted to be thanked,—we wanted answers as to whether or not our accounts, our devices that have the Airbnb app on it were compromised or not.  Has our personal information and data been hacked?  This is SO typical of Airbnb’s narcissistic, gaslighting responses to the way they handle everything!! My blood is boiling right now!!  I foresee and welcome the day a class action lawsuit is brought against Airbnb for the truly unbelievable behavior and actions it has engaged in.  I have saved emails, recorded phone conversations and screen shots that I will gladly exhibit!!!   I know it appears all is great right now and you’re, (aka Airbnb), is “getting away” with it, however, surely there is a day of reckoning coming in the near future.  You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all the time! 

Julieanna
Roy644
Level 2
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Lizzie,  thank you for getting this sorted out and for coming back to us.  I haven’t received these anymore. 

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Jack154@Simone473@Isabel54@Britney27@Cecilia46@Mark3566@Paul1255@Julieanne0@Mary4286@Gary-And-Pamela0@Edward467,  @Deva0@Quana7@Nicole2302@Elisabeth40@Kerri28@Philippa25@Lisa5873@Tom229@Justin1189@Jennifer1897@Tina14@Kristin1082@Rosana173@Jessica2159@Linda-And-Richard0@Christina284@Kenton-And-Melissa0@Jonathan6@Cecilia46@Rich24@Denise1241@AllanandUte0@Josie16@Lyn5636@Nicky168@Roy644@MsEmily0@Isabel54@Anne971, @Emma158@Sarah977, @Ann72 

@Lizzie 

Late this morning I realized that I had been signed out of my @Airbnb account on all of my devices.  This meant of course, I was not getting any notifications on my phone, laptop or iPad.  I wasn't notified by Airbnb, I was notified by "Smartbnb.io" (a third party app/company I use to manage messaging), that all Airbnb services had been disconnected.  Thankfully, I had signed up with them, (Smartbnb), to receive text messages if this type of thing should ever happen.  When I went to sign back into my Airbnb account on all devices, guess what type of messages I received per device?  If you guessed "verification code" messages, you would be correct.  As I did not sign myself out of my account on ANY of my devices, this is rather unnerving!   Did anyone else have this happen recently?

The last two codes were "legitimate" I guess,--but I'm not the one who signed out of my account on all devices!The last two codes were "legitimate" I guess,--but I'm not the one who signed out of my account on all devices!

But why?  Why was I logged out on all devices?  I didn't do this!But why? Why was I logged out on all devices? I didn't do this!

No, I didn't, but this is sort of scary.  Has my account been hacked?No, I didn't, but this is sort of scary. Has my account been hacked?

Julieanna

@Julieanna0   I log out on all devices when I am done on Airbnb. So I can't compare, but I get those notices from time to time as well, and I certainly haven't logged in with a new device. When I check my log-in, log-out history, it co-ordinates with when I was logged in and out, so I just figure it's wonky tech.

You really should log out after every session. It's not a good idea to leave your accounts open all the time.

@Sarah977  So how do you get notified when a guest messages you?  Do you login and check your account or emails within each hour during the day?  Thankfully I do use another service, as mentioned, to send automated emails for initial inquiries.  However, this wouldn't help me out much for instance, if a guest who was staying messaged me with a request.  I actually prefer guests use the messaging app vs. calling.  

I'm always logged in, for example, on my phone.  Now I'm wondering how I could handle this  better?

Julieanna

@Julieanna0  Receiving alerts that you have a message waiting are not dependent on being logged in. You receive those alerts by text, email, or push notification, whatever you have checked in your account profile, regardless. So I get an alert of a message, inquiry, or request, then log in to my account to answer it.

You should check at least 2 of those methods of receiving alerts, in case one fails.

@Sarah977   I just checked my settings, (which are under account), and I DO have text and email turned on.  I see what you're saying,--regardless of whether or not I'm logged into my app or not, I should receive the text alert.  Given Airbnb's track record with tech, and especially the recent unexplained glitches, I hope this continues to work....  Thank you again for your helpfulness!

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 1.57.09 PM.png

Julieanna