Verification of photo id e,g Passports

Andrew274
Level 1
Kings Worthy, United Kingdom

Verification of photo id e,g Passports

I guess this is a common question but will ask all the same. With the world ever increasing in it's security checks and safe measures, with my paranoia of giving out my personal information, I would rather not supply you with my Driving licence or passport details. My question is can i still use air bnb

16 Replies 16
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Sure, you can still use Airbnb, but be aware many hosts require you have your ID verified through Airbnb.  Will it be impossible to find a place to stay?  No.  But may be a little more difficult.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Would you feel comfortable, if you were a host, having guests in your home who were unverified, @Andrew274? If so, it's fine, and, as @Cynthia-and-Chris1 say, your choices will be limited, but you can still book with some hosts. There will be listings, though, that you will not even see when you are browsing as an unverified user. Cool ones. 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Andrew274  When I have checked into a hotel, I presented my Driver's License.  I don't think seeking a government ID is so unusual.  Of course we all know that this is not a fool proof system, but better than nothing in my book.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Andrew274

This is mainly a host to host forum, but I will try and answer your question.

Hosts are also concerned about security, so most will require that their guests are verified and that the profile photo matches that of the ID. Bear in mind that most of us are private hosts inviting guests into our properties or homes and we do not have the option to ask for copy of ID or credit card upon check-in like hotels can do.

You can try to book, but you must be prepared for the fact that many hosts will decline requests from potential unverified guests.

@Marit-Anne0 of course we can ask  our guests for photo id when they arrive. In fact in some countries it is our obligation to register all our guests , including children , at the tourist office.

They can just show their ID or passports and we write down all their data or if they agree we can make a photo or a photocopy of their documents. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Yes, we may, but only if it is mentioned in the house rules so that guests are aware of the fact in advance.  Otherwise, they have every right to refuse. When they know the reason like reporting to the authorities, most will be ok with the fact and be very understanding.

But I must say I was taken by surprise when my Barcelona host asked for copy of our passports until he explained.  He is one of the few licensed hosts and wanted to remain so.

@Marit-Anne0 so mention it 🙂 we did, but as it is mandatory in Croatia other hosts don't mention it but still do it.

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I do, but I do not follow up if the person matches the profile photo 🙂 I just want my potential guests to think that I do to warn off those undesired - I have requests from suspicious profiles quite often and for longer term stays.  Probably sex workers. 

@Marit-Anne0 I do check if the picture on photo ID is of the guest in front of me.

But, listen to this @Marit-Anne0 , I got inquiry today for a third party booking (some bank logo on profile picture, joined in Feb 2017) She said her first name and that she wants to book for her colleagues. She even asks for early check in at 8 am.

I declined the inquiry, wrote that third party bookings are not allowed at  ABB, and copy/paste part of our house rules which says: " The person who books the apartment has to be one of the guests and be present during the check in." and that so early check in is not possible.

5 min after that she instant booked! I didn't know that is even possible ?!?? I thought if I decline the inquiry or request it will be unpossible for that guest to book.

I contacted Airbnb and waiting for their response now.

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I think in this case airbnb will let you cancel without penalties on the grounds that you are not comfortable with the guest.  I had a similar issue last month with a profile that did not add up at all.  I had them cancel the booking.

@Marit-Anne0 but how is it possible to instant book if your inquiry is declined ?? 

@Branka-and-Silvia0

It is fully possible to rebook after a decline - with you or with someone else if they meet your booking requirements. But no normal person would do that when you had declined and explained why - yet another reason to have the booking canceled.

@Marit-Anne0 

Isn't it? I find it really rude 😞

I thought it's impossible to book if your inquiry is declined , othervise what's the purpose of accept/decline button ??? 

@Branka-and-Silvia0

To let airbnb take count of how many declines we make and then send us some warnings when there are too many 😉

Seriously - it is a good question and I cannot think of anything other than letting the guest know.  

But I have had to decline requests to keep my response rate and asked them to re-request when they had gotten answers to all their questions and were confident enough to actually make a booking.  With time differences it is not always possible communicate all the necessary within the timeframe given.  As you surely know, some are overcautious when booking private accomodation.