Verification

Answered!
Pam-And-Alan0
Level 1
Kamloops, Canada

Verification

Sadly this is the second time a guest of ours has been denied accomodation EVEN though Airbnb has allowed them to book initially.  In this particular case a guest has been staying with us for two weeks (paid through Airbnb) and went to book another place for one night. They were refused to book until they verified (even though Airbnb approved them to stay with us). They are from another country and had a cell phone they bought that doesn't work and don't have a computer. EVEN though we managed through our computer to get a colour (a black and white scan wasn't good enough) passport picture that wasn't enough. They don't have FB, Google or Linkedin so the next step was a video saying they were real. We are not whiz at technology and within the deadline we couldn't get on our computer a video of her saying she was real. I can guarantee they will Never travel with Airbnb and her points are vaild. They have for the first time shown they paid, with a lot of struggle given not only their credit card but their passport and that wasn't enough. Either Airbnb makes EVERY guest who joins do all this rigamole to be able to book or stick with demanding a picture profile and a valid credit card. This is highly embarrasing as a Host and a poor recommendation for people to book with Airbnb. Once...okay a fluke. and now Twice?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This would have only happened if you have chosen to have a strict verification setting for your listing. 

Why didn't you just give BNB a call and explain what was happening - hopefully they would have resolved it quickly as your guest had already provided information previously.

This would have been a much quicker and less stressful solution.

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

It depends on the settings in the account of the host as well.  Some host settings are stricter than others and require a full set of verifications - especially if they have IB turned on.  

Personally, I would never allow complete strangers into my home without full verification.  If they cannot provide the required documentation, I rather they book with someone else.

Thank you Marit for your feedback. I checked our settings and we don't have full verification on. My frustration was that - I know Unheard of - these guests do not have a cell phone, computer and access the internet when they go to the library now and then.  They had been approved by Airbnb initially to stay with us with only credit card and email verification. I think from the discussion from you and others the host they tried to book with had full verification and unfortunately within the short time frame of 12 hours and no computer/cell phone (how do you scan a drivers license and email it if you don't have a cell phone/computer?) they were unable to book. We did our best to help by letting them use our phoine, taking the picture of their driver's license, letting them use our computers etc.  It appears they are now 'verified' although at the time pop up came up and said they had to do a video.  It was 11:00 at night and that just proved too complicated.

Learned lots from yours and others replies.

Thank you,

Pam

I agree. Yet when I required that guests show me their drivers license upon arrival. I was told by Airbnb I was not allowed to ever do this nor am I allowed to ask for this. If I chose to do this they could close my listing all together. There is a new policy for Host to provide Verification by Dec 5th. I am okay with this as long as Airbnb asks the same standard from all Guests. I shouldn't have to set a specific setting for this request. It should automatically be standard for all guest no matter what. Just like booking a Hotel Reservation.

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This will be because of your settings as a host 🙂 🙂

If you aren't bothered about guests being verified (surprising if that's the case, most hosts do care!) untick the box saying only verified guests can book.

This has happened to me maybe twice; the verification process is VERY easy, from my perspective if they can't manage it I don't want them staying.
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This would have only happened if you have chosen to have a strict verification setting for your listing. 

Why didn't you just give BNB a call and explain what was happening - hopefully they would have resolved it quickly as your guest had already provided information previously.

This would have been a much quicker and less stressful solution.

Hi Helen;

We did call Airbnb and so did our guest (we gave them our phone). Airbnb Customer Service had difficulty as they couldn't help as our guest did not own a cell phone or have a computer on them. As it turns out after advice from all of you - it was the host who had requirement of full verification that our guest couldn't book with. With our help it appears out guest is now Verified.  Whoo Hoo! 

It still is something I wish Airbnb would make mandatory - will mean a loss of bookings but that anyone who signs up has to be fully verified so not just a credit card and profile pic and email address.

Thank you so much for your advice and I agree Airbnb Customer Service has always been really helpful.

Pam

Livia19
Level 2
Iași, Romania

A guest tried to book and couldn't, even though I do NOT ask for Government-ID verification, that option is not ticked on my listing and after trying again ang again - the message he received was "verification pending". I had sent him a special offer and he wanted to accept that, however, it seems Airbnb showed him a bigger amount to pay, not taking into consideration my offer. Not only was he unable to book another room in the house but he was also sent a message that his ID photo is not good enough, although it seemed to be accepted the first time. The period of time he wanted was longer so now those dates are somehow blocked and I can't resend him an offer for that room. I tried with another room, and the same happened. 

I'm quite disappointed. 

I can't call the US because that would be too expensive. 

@Livia19

If the verification is pending, the dates will be blocked until the verification goes through.  It may take some time.

You do not have to call the US, you can contact via social media like Facebook or Twitter.

Bryce11
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

Hello, I'm currently trying to book a place to stay for business travel. I can't seem to pass the ID Verification part of the booking. I have uploaded multiple pictures of my drivers license and none of them seems to work. The error seems to be the quality of the photo but it is a very good quality photo and could not be more legible. I'm short on time and need to book my accomodations as soon as possible. I'd really appreciate some assistance. 

@Bryce11

You would need to contact airbnb.  Fellow hosts are unable to assist with technical issues like yours.

Robert599
Level 2
Kenner, LA

I have a guest who wants to book but is not verified.

Should I book?

Hi 

I am having the same situation and only 2 hours left to say Yes or No.

I saw your post. Did anyone got back to you? and if yes can you please advaice me what I should be asking? this guest look very young and coming with 2 other guests that he did not explained who they are. He reqested 3 beds that make me think that it is not a couple traveling. What should I do? On his profile with Airbnd he has 2 verification only e-mail and phone number (I can not see that info but it shows verified). Profile picture is his selfie in the mirror. No bio...and no reviews. Please help (:

Robert599
Level 2
Kenner, LA

I have a goest who wants to book but they are not verified.

Should I book?

Susan728
Level 2
Allen, TX

I have come across guests who made inquiries and doesn't have a profile picture nor any verification. How can any host know who walk into their house without a picture? I'm sure the guests would also like to see who they are staying with so hosts must post a picture Not a scenery or flower on their profile. I also have family member example a sister booking for her brother, a daughter booking for her parents , which means I still don't know what these people look like but like most of the hosts who are unaware of potential danger and believe in the goodness of people, I have no qualms at all accepting them. One thing for you to think about is what happens if a registered guest book for a criminal, etc etc etc.  I think Airbnb should up their security measures to ensure that every guest who stays are required to give a picture and verification. Hotels requires ID from Every guests so if anything happens they have a record for the police so the same should work for people who open up their house to strangers.

For your guests who have difficulty booking , they should have registered with Airbnb in their own home before they travel. It would be easier for them to book into a hotel with their passport then.