Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Ramona11
Level 4
Naples, FL

Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Has anyone else run up against a requirement to use Verify ID no matter who you are booking with? For security reasons I do not with to keep my ocs on file and link my airbnb profile with my fb page. So I have not been able to book with any hosts now, and the hosts are not the ones imposing the requirement. as a Super Host myself, I think this is going to really hurt my business. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

490 Replies 490
Debbie81
Level 3
New York, United States

As a host, I recently opted to only accept requests from people who have verified identification. My understanding it that it is merely an option, but I would expect a majority of hosts would prefer this.

It does not appear to be an option.  They have all of my information already.  They do not need a copy of my government ID to share with a company who is selling my information.  It is a huge violation of my privacy.  I have no intention of using AirBnB if they continue to do so. 

I agree. I just today found out about it. I have never been asked prior. The host said they did not know about it. I will not do it nor will I use ABB any longer to rent my vacation homes out. advertise there yes. but steer potencials to one of the other advertising sites I pay.

any recommendations as to the other sites to search for rentals as I do not want to show  put my id on line either?

Karen843
Level 1
Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ

For over 20 years we have always searched for a rental vacation place via VRBO or Homeaway. Neither have ever asked for ID. This is the first time I am using Airbnb and was surprised when they just asked for a photo ID of license and myself, when the host (who is a superhost, has no photo ID given to me!)

Lloyd28
Level 6
Prague, Czech Republic

I'm a superhost. We don't receive your ID. That would be unsecure and unnecessary. You simply have to have a verified ID filed with airbnb to rent our place. Come on, we're letting you stay in our house. Somebody has to make sure you are who you say. 

i understand you point but when i book at a hotel i show my id.  there is not a photo of my id to be stolen.  in electronic form it is very dangerous. plus anyone doing something wrong can easily get fake id and send it in.  so it's really not that secure anyway

a lot of these people have not traveled enough. when traveling internationally hotels require a copy of id and passport. a lot of hotels take photocopys when you hand them your ID you just never paid enough attention. any good hotel follows this practice. besides, what do you think they do when they take it? they write all the info off of it anyways!!! lol 

A hotel making a physical copy is not the same as having a digital image on the internet. This image could be accessed by any number of malware options outside of Airbnb.  Additionally, Airbnb has no linked policy about what they promise to do or not do with your ID image. 

photo copy @ hotel is not over the internet.

Gavin95
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

You don't supply your photo ID online prior to arriving though, do you?

Yes, that is what they are asking for. They want you to use your device to take a photo of the front of your driver's license and a photo of the back of it. I opted out. Sad too, because I was looking at a very nice place in New Orleans. 

Yes, but who gets to make sure?  I've owned a VRBO rental sucessfully for 10 years.  I'd like to rent my first airbnb place that looks just perfect on San Juan Island, but SO turned off by photo ID that I'll go somewhere else.  Too bad, cause the condo looked absolutely perfect for us and works for our dates.

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Well said Lloyd we are the ones taking the gamble on who comes into our home.