Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Ramona11
Level 4
Naples, FL

Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Has anyone else run up against a requirement to use Verify ID no matter who you are booking with? For security reasons I do not with to keep my ocs on file and link my airbnb profile with my fb page. So I have not been able to book with any hosts now, and the hosts are not the ones imposing the requirement. as a Super Host myself, I think this is going to really hurt my business. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

490 Replies 490

You are missing something.  Hold in there.....

When I signed up with Airbnb  5 years ago, I was verified through Google + and later Facebook. A host, super or not, having access to my government ID will not guarantee that I'm not a creeper. Not sure how I feel about that...

Anthea31
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

i booked a place a couple of days ago, was asked to just send a pic to the superhost, which i had no problem doing, now, searcing again, ive been hit with this invasion, not by the hosts directly.

I will not be putting something on file here. I have no social media.  Therefore i will not be booking on air b&b if it continues to ask for this.  Slowly our privacy is being stolen from us, when there is already an adequate thing in place.............sad, and under the ruse of security..........

I trust people and happy to show my ID and give a reference. But I don't trust a corporation to safeguard my data. Plain and simple.

It is not an option - it is a requirement before booking the reservation. AirbBnB just lost a customer.

Debby

I have to report everyone to a government agency who requests my ID.   This takes time and effort.  One of these days as a host, you are going to have a nice visitor from one of the three letter agencies.   I would NEVER do this.   If someone's identiy is stolen you are a suspect

Appreciate your point of view. I would be willing to give you a copy of my passport if I was booking your place just as one needs to when checking in at a hotel. But having these details permamently on file with airbnb whether or not I choose to use them again is unreasonable.

Beyond unreasonable.

Meet me at the door if you want a verified id.

YES.  Simples.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We only take verified guests - I don't t he problem as it is some form of protection (minor) for hosts. When you stay at an hotel you usually use a credit card, which is a form of verification. It's pretty standard for many situations to verify who you are.

Hotels check your ID when you check-in - they do not make a copy of it and store it.

I agree I have decided not to use Airbnb in the future because they required a copy of a goverment issued ID for their files. I would be  happpy to show it to the renter when I arrive. 

Exactly!!! 

yes, exactly!