Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Ramona11
Level 4
Naples, FL

Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Has anyone else run up against a requirement to use Verify ID no matter who you are booking with? For security reasons I do not with to keep my ocs on file and link my airbnb profile with my fb page. So I have not been able to book with any hosts now, and the hosts are not the ones imposing the requirement. as a Super Host myself, I think this is going to really hurt my business. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

490 Replies 490

I am glad I am not alone.  I also refuse to put my private information on this site.  I work in the real estate industry and hackers will go through emails to create successful wire fraud of seller or buyer funds without having access to a drivers license or social security number.  What havoc can they do with government id and last 4.  I was poised for a booking last eve but this requirement stopped me dead in my tracks.  We have actually been hacked before so not taking any chances with airbnb.  I will find a place on VRBO or hotel.  This is ridiculous.  If you havent read their terms about this policy, its a good read and lets you know all of their fun plans for your info.  Oops, it just got into the wrong hands now the fight to clear your name after the breach begins and its not a pretty fight.  If you dont have id fraud insurance good luck to you.  Good luck now trying to prove that you didnt run up the bills and now have a new mortgage.  ID THEFT AND FRAUD IS REAL AND I WONT HELP YOU STEAL MY INFORMATION.  IF THIS REMAINS AIRBNB POLICY I AM NOT A CUSTOMER.  I HAVE NO PROBLEM SHOWING A HOST MY ID BEFORE ACTUALLY ENTERING THEIR PROPERTY, BUT THEY DONT NEED A COPY IN THEIR POSSESSION FOR A 2 DAY STAY AND I AM NOT PUTTING IT INTO AN ONLINE PORTAL FOR AIRBNBS OOPS.

Why would an Airbnb superhost be required to share an ID to book an accommodation?

Christine1861
Level 2
Windsor, Australia

I have successfully booked accommodation via airbnb without I'd. Now on my third attempt they are asking for my passport is. I have just recently had my credit card hacked so will NOT be giving some faceless online company my passport details.  I will vote to go elsewhere 

@Christine1861 Do you still purchase goods online? If you do, do you still provide your credit card or bank account?

"Do you still purchase goods online? If you do, do you still provide your credit card or bank account?"

Credit cards and bank accounts have fraud protection. Licenses and passports do not.

You just owned somebody. 🙂

Christine1861
Level 2
Windsor, Australia

Yes but I do not provide my personal government issued identification. 

Wow - disappointing.  There is no way in hell  I'm handing over a digital image of my passport or DL to some non-gov site.  Didn't even like giving it to my bank to keep on some database somewhere ("trust us - perfectly secure".  Eff the eff off.).  I might consider a simple photo.  No - not that either.  Thought Airbnb was going to be my new go-to for life. Will look into vrbo, as suggested by others in this thread.

Rich133
Level 1
West Lafayette, IN

Yup.  I'm done.  No way in hell I am coughing up a copy of my photo ID.  If a host would like me to show them an ID on arrival, I am fine with that, but airbnb has no business keeping a copy.  Ask anyone who works in IT security/privacy, this is about as dangerous as you can get.  Horribly irresponsible.

I just ran into an interesting glitch with the photo ID.  Wanted to stay at air bnb’s while driving cross country next week.  Hadn’t thought of the security aspects yet, but after submitting my photo ID, I received a message that I couldn’t be recognized as me and my ID was rejected.  Several different cameras and photos later, same message.  So I guess I can no longer stay at air bnb’s even if I want to.  Sorry to have to go back to the dark side, hotels.  Or - sleep in the car, yay!  I wonder how many others will have the same problem?

Jane1073
Level 1
Presque Isle, ME

I used to love Airbnb, the website that offers me access to nice accommodations for my summer travel. But now I am disappointed and angry at how Airbnb has been treating me.

I used Airbnb for two years and had success. I received 4-5 star ratings from the host families I stayed with. Now Airbnb is refusing me service. Airbnb wants me to send them a copy of my passport or driver’s license. I understand the rationale behind this step; it was designed to increase confidence in both hosts and guests. However, their process of verification made me instantly uneasy.

First, it made no sense to ask me to provide this information when I am already an established and repeat customer. Airbnb has all the necessary information: name, address, sex, birth date, phone number, email address, credit card, past hosts’ reviews and a profile picture. My history should have established me as a trustworthy customer. It appears that being an established customer means nothing to Airbnb.

Airbnb’s verification process is unreasonable. I travel extensively during my summer breaks (I teach) and I am familiar with hotels, motels, resorts, B&B’s, college dorms and other host families’ accommodations. Travelling usually involves reserving accommodation with a credit card. Upon arrival, the facilities perform a quick check of the passport or driver’s license.

The difference here is that I’m uploading sensitive information to Airbnb. These days anything on the Internet is vulnerable. The difference between entering my credit card information and my passport data online is that my credit card has some pretty serious guarantees and fraud detection in place. If someone gets a hold of my passport information and my identity is stolen, this can take years to fix.

Airbnb also asked that I provide them my social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google) connections. A business has no right to ask for social media information. After spending ample time reading reviews and blogs on Airbnb, it appears to me that Airbnb should sticking to established customs and use common sense in business practices. Online there are numerous articles on Airbnb infringement and overcollection of customers’ personal information. Many people are questioning their practices and tuning away from Airbnb.

J hutch Maine, USA

@Jane1073 My wallet was stolen in 24 hours fitness one week ago. My driver’s license along with my credit cards, car keys, house keys etc were all stolen. Not to mention my tote bag, clothes , shoes , towels etc. 

Should I blame 24 hour fitness club that allowed thieves to access their locker room? There are no safe place in our society to keep anything from stolen.

Mike 1034

Taking precautions like locking your items in a gym locker would have prevented the thief.  

Taking precautions in providing information information online is good common sense.

J Hutch

@Mike1034: You are not drawing a parallel scenario. If you had given your wallet to someone at the fitness club to keep an eye on while you worked out, and then your wallet was stolen—then YES, you would blame them. Same thing with Airbnb; you are giving them your sensitive personal ID and trusting they keep it secure. You're certainly not putting it into a private "locker."

@Jeff498  Actually they are very similar. If 24 hours fitness club could screen their members thoroughly and provide safe and secure storage space, this kind of stealing would have not happened.